John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

Whats the best Virus Protection & Firewall program available

What's the best Virus Protection & Firewall program available for MACs ?
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.
Howdy!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. If you need further assistance on this issue, please let me know.

Also, please feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. I can assist with a myriad number of issues, including speed or performance improvements, hardware or software installation and updates, new device/software recommendations and other frustrations you may experience in the future.

I can be reached directly via the following page:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

Thanks,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm using OSX 10.6.8 on an Intel iMac

Thanks, Philip!

Avast! Free Antivirus is a popular and very efficient choice. It protects against viruses and spyware with realtime scanning, including email and websites.

http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-mac

Sophos is another good free one right up there near the top, and it is lightweight, with good detection rates, and in my testing has never caused any issues.

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-antivirus-for-mac-home-edition.aspx

As far as a firewall goes. The one included with OS X 10.6 is perfectly usable. It is an Application Firewall, which allows you to control connections on a per-application basis, rather than a per-port basis. This makes it easier to gain the benefits of firewall protection, and helps prevent undesirable applications from taking control of network ports that have been opened for legitimate applications.

Follow these steps:

Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
Click Security.
Click the Firewall tab.
Unlock the pane by clicking the lock in the lower-left corner and enter the administrator username and password.
Click Start to enable the firewall.
Click Advanced to customize the firewall configuration.

I should note, however, that I myself do not run with any real time third party scanning protection at this point. There just aren't a lot of threats out there right now that can't be avoid using safe internet practices. i say this not to discourage you from exploring the above options BUT if you find they are troublesome or effect your workflow then you shouldn't feel you MUST use them, IMO.

If you still have concerns, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website or your issue) and positive ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, thanks. As always, MACs still rule !

MAC user since 1986 !

You are very welcome!

You have me beat by a good few years, I followed NeXTSTEP over when it became OS X in 2001. Smile