Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I have a mac that is a few months old, when I would use my

Customer Question

I have a mac that is a few months old, when I would use my previous mac and tried to print out DVD covers and such, they'd come out blurry, so I had to use someone's windows PC, and it was fine, so I know it's not a printer issue. Now that I have my new mac, it was working fine up until the last time I tried, it's been about a month. I tried again today, and these same DVD covers print out blurry, this is the same exact issue I've had previously with my old mac. I can't find any answers online. Please help.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.

Hello Paul, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only silly question is the unasked one.

You found the right expert, I also print DVD covers and DVDs using a Cannon MX5250 and an Epson R200.
I have experienced this myself. Usually it is the software being used to create the cover and the interaction between it and the printer options.
Please tell me what software you are using and the printer settings.
Lets start there and see where it goes.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I'm using a program called DiscLabel.

Settings:

same size

0 intensity

page size for dvd labels is letter, for covers is a4

type: matte

quality: standard

layout: none

orientation: for labels I use portrait, covers are landscape.

This is the same program and these are the same settings I've been using for months with absolutely no issue.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Also, the size of the images are the exact size needed for what I'm doing, no zooming needed.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Oh, and when I had this problem with my old mac, I tried over 10 different software printing programs, all with the same results.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It's also the latest mac pro with the latest OSX. I'm trying to give all the information I can. I tried printing before I updated the OSX (it worked fine over a month ago with that osx, but not today) and after updating, same problem, so I don't think it's the OSX.

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.
Ok, Paul.
What does your print dialog box look like?
graphic
Or this?
graphic
The second lets you set many aspects of what the print will do.
Are you printing wireless?
I am trying to narrow it down here.

Good info.
Might have to delete the printer and add it back, may need updated drivers also.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It looks like the first one. The presets are "default."

I'm printing via USB.

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.
That might make it easy then.
graphic
Then you will get this.
graphic

Select your printer from the popup (if you have more than 1) then choose the options, like color matching and such.
graphic
Explore the different menus and then once you like how it is set, save it and give it a name so it is easy to reselect.

Try that, print one out and let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I don't have all those options for some reason, no matter if I try to print from the software, or firefox and safari.

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.
The second one is for Page settings and not what you need, try clicking 'Show Options'.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I tried a bunch of different settings, different color matching, all the same outcome.

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.
Ok, now for some basic maintenance.

First repair permeissions, this PDF explains.

Repairing Permissions

Also what resolution images are you using?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I repaired permissions, still the same.

300 pixels for the case covers, 72 pixels for the disc covers.

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.
That should not be a problem as the driver should translate for th eprinter.
Now lets remove the printer and re add it.
Open System Preferences/Print & Fax.
graphic

graphic

graphic
Then once that is done click the plus sign.

Printer addition 10.6, 10.7

Now give it a try.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I did that earlier, and updated the printer via the canon website, nothing has worked.

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.
Ok, lets try something else. Print from another app like iPhoto or any app that aproximates the disk cover.
This will tell us a little more about the problem.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Still the same.

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.
Ok, now we will reset the print system. This does more than remove the printer.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Didn't work either.

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.
Turn the printer off and wait for a minute or 2 and turn it back on. Does this print blurry no matter what you are printing from?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Still the same. Yes, it's blurry from all software. I think it's more the computer than the printer, I've been thru this before with my old mac. I brought the printer to someones house with a windows pc and it worked fine.

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.
Have you downloaded any software like MacKeeper?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No I don't use any malware.

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.
Since this happened with the old and the new Mac then there is some software that is at fault here.
Other than reinstalling OS X (which is the next step) I see nothing else. Try resetting the printer.

1. Turn the printer off with the Power button (if available).
  2. Disconnect the data cable from the printer (not applicable to WiFi, Bluetooth or Infrared).
  3. Unplug the printer's power cord for approximately 10 minutes, and then plug it back in. If troubleshooting a communication issue, reconnect the data cable (not applicable to WiFi, Bluetooth or Infrared).
  4. Turn the printer back on.
Failing that then it is reinstall OS X.