John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

hello

hello
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

What is your issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried to open my Iphoto and it wont let me open it.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, what happens when you try to open it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

IT says Your photo library is either in use by another application or has become unreadable

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.

It sounds like your iPhoto may be corrupted.

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10.6.8
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks!

and do you happen to know which version of iPhoto you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, please try the following first, if it doesn't work quite as described then following the alternate set of instructions under (2):

(1)
Quit iPhoto if it is open.

Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.

Open iPhoto.

Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.

A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select the options you want to use.
(I recommend checking all of them at this point since the reason for loss is unknown)

Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process. This may take a few minutes to complete.

(2)
Quit iPhoto if it is open

Hold down the Command and Option keys on your keyboard and start iPhoto

Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library

A dialog will appear with rebuild options listed; Start with the first option.

Click Repair or Rebuild

The process may take a few minutes to complete.

If that doesn’t work then repeat the process once again, this time choosing the 2nd option (and repeat for 3rd and 4th option until successful).

If you still have concerns, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website or your issue) and positive ratings assure I am credited for my time.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This did not work unfortunately. And I was charged $58.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Were you able to do the rebuild and it simply did improve the situation or would the rebuild not start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rebuild would not start and same error message popped up again .
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

Ok

If none of the prior options worked, you should next try rebuilding your iPhoto Library with the “iPhoto Library Manager“ available from here:

http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/

You shouldn’t need to buy it, just use the trial version.

1. Download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.
2. Click on the Add Library button, navigate to your Home/Pictures folder and select your iPhoto Library folder.
3. Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the File ➙ Rebuild Library menu option
4. In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.
5. Click on the Create button.

Note: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments but not books, calendars or slideshows. The original library will be left untouched for further attempts at fixing the problem or in case the rebuilt library is not satisfactory.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Howdy!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. If you need further assistance on this issue, please let me know.

Also, please feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. I can assist with a myriad number of issues, including speed or performance improvements, hardware or software installation and updates, new device/software recommendations and other frustrations you may experience in the future.

I can be reached directly via the following page:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, so I downloaded that software and built a new library.

This recovered a lot of the photos. Thank you!!

I am unsure if I have all the photos that I had originally (about 10,000) I am an artist and photographer so getting them back is very important to

me?

I am also unsure if they will be of the original quality from when I took them?

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again!

When creating a new library, the iPhoto Library Manager will pull the original photos and use them "untouched". So they will be identical to how they were when you first imported them in iPhoto.

As far as the number of photos go, iPLM should have retreived every photos from the old library and you should be able to check how many are in the new library as follows;

Open iPhoto

In the sidebar at the left, choose "Photos" under Library.

Then, near the top right of the window it should display how many photos in total are in the library.

If you are still concerned, or think some photos are missing, I can walk you through how to manually dig into the old library to find individual photos.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

I believe I have them all. It's hard to tell because they are in their individual events but not in the albums I made.

Is there a way to recover my albums?

Also noticed that my videos are not playing. Is there a way to recover

these videos?

Thanks

Payal

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
The iPhoto Library Manager will have pulled whatever it could from the old library.

Videos should have been recovered but you can try searching for them manually.

In the Finder, click the Go menu item in the menu bar and choose "Home"

open the Pictures folder

locate the file named "iPhoto Library" (DO NOT DOUBLE-CLICK IT)

Right-click (or Control-Click) on the file and select "Show Package Contents".

In the new window that opens, you can navigate and browse folders, looking for any lost files. In most cases, it is stored in a "Masters" or "Original" folder.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Howdy!

Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

I found the videos and was not able to import them into the new library, but I was able to transfer them to a folder on my back up drive for now.

What is the next step for getting my Iphoto app back?

Do I have to remove it and readd it?

thanks

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the last time we talked you had used The iPhoto Library Manager to rebuild your library and it seemed to be working minus the videos you have now found.

What problem are you having with iPhoto currently?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wanted to know if it was possible to remove the original iPhoto application (the one that won't open) and get a new IPhoto application ?
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Does it not work with the new library you created?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a new temporary library under "iPhoto library manager" which has the photos but does not function at the full capability like iPhoto. It is missing a lot of features. The actual iPhoto app is not working. I need the actual iPhoto app back if possible with all its feature.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
If you followed the initial instructions it created a new library for use with iPhoto. Where did it save this new library?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The photos are in a different application now Instead of opening the iPhoto Icon on the Mac dashboard at the bottom, the icon/application that opens is "iPhoto library manager" which has the photos and I am able to view them as events but I cannot edit them , I cannot put them in albums, etc like in IPhoto. The actual iPhoto app still has the error message.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok it sounds like you may have added the library to iPLM but did not actually create a new library for iPhoto. The original instructions were as follows:

5. Click on the Create button.

It sounds like you need to do from #3 onward. Once the new iPhoto Library is created then you no longer need to use iPLM. It will open in iPhoto.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much... Iphoto has reopened and in process of rebuilding the library. I am about 1/3 through rebuilding, but have had to pause it. This is because Now I am being told I have very low disk space which has never happened before. It appears all my videos (which carry a large amount of space), are duplicated through this process. I am unsure how to remove the duplicates so I can continue the rebuilding of Iphoto?

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again!

If you are currently using the iPhoto Library Manager to rebuild the Library then it does indeed duplicate the entire library during this procedure. So however large the originaly library is, will be the size of the new one.

Do you have an external hard drive available?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello !

Yes I have an external drive available. I am unsure how to separate the duplicates.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay,

if you restart the rebuild of the Library then iPLM should ask you where to place the rebuilt Library, you can navigate and choose a location on the external hard drive.

Once the Library is rebuilt successfuly you should then be able to delete the original Library and copy the rebuilt one back form the external.

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry