Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My daughter passed away and I would like to access her iPad

My daughter passed away and I would like to access her iPad and MacBook. I do not know her passcodes. I don't want to lose her info, pictures, etc. Is this possible?
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

I've both good news and bad news. Good news is, you can reset the passcode/password XXXXX the Mac easily without losing anything. The bad news is, there is no way to reset the passcode of the iPad. That is how Apple designed it.

Do you want help with resetting the password XXXXX the Mac ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes PLEASE! I have to run in the other room and get it.

Jaime, first of all I'm very sorry for your loss :(

Back to the question, do you know what version of Mac OS X does it have ?
Jaime, I mean do you know what version of Mac OS X does it have ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Still have the box, I am looking

Ok Jaime. Let me know if you find any OS X installation discs in there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It doesn't have a disc drive

Is this Macbook Air ? When did she purchased it ?

I need to identify the version/model, so we can move to the right direction
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

MacBook Pro It says something about if I have a problem, then MacBook OS X utilities can help repair...does that sound right? Brand new computer last month.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's macBook Pro and it says something about OS X utilities? Does that sound right?

Yes Jaime. Now we are going to use the Mac OS X Utilities to reset the password XXXXX the Mac. Follow the steps below :

• Turn off the Mac
  • Turn in back on and immediately hold down Option key at boot and select the “Recovery” disk at the boot menu (Alternatively, to boot into Lion Utilities restart your Mac and immediately hold downCommand and R keys)
  • This will boot the Mac to "Mac OS X Utilities” menu
  • Click on the “Utilities” menu in top and select “Terminal"
  • Type (without space) resetpassword and press return
  • Confirm the user account and then change the password XXXXX anything you want.
  • Then restart the Mac and login with the new password.

If you get any errors related to Keychain after resetting and login with new password, then do the steps below;

1. Go to Macintosh HD/Applications/Utilities/ and open Keychain Access
  2. From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.
  3. Click Reset My Keychain, which is under the General pane.
  4. Authenticate with your login password.
  5. Quit Keychain Access.

Let me know once you did that, so we can fix the iPad.

Best Regards,
Jaime, FYI your Mac should have the latest version of Mac OS X i.e Mac OS X 10.8 Mountaion Lion

If you have any trouble following the steps, please reply back and I'll walk you through. Once we fix the Mac, we can reset the iPad back to working condition.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm getting a swirly thing and it won't let me type anything

Are you in the Mac OS X Utilities screen now ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I turned it off and on again and now it's asking if I want to create new keychain update keychain password, or continue log in

Create new keychain
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am getting a message that I need to enter a password XXXXX her gmail got imessage access. I do not have this either

That is something outside of our control Jaime. However, you can try resetting her Gmail account password XXXXX here : https://www.google.com/accounts/recovery/

There is no way to reset the password XXXXX you've access to her phone or know the security questions.

Do you have the iPad handy ? If so, we can restore it back to factory settings so you can start using it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I got into the macbook ok, thank you so much for your help. There were six pictures of my daughter on there. She only had the computer for a few days before she passed. I don't want to lose all the info on the iPad, so do we have to restore it to factory settings?

Unfortunately Yes. That is our only way. Apple designed that way due to some security reasons.

If she had iCloud enabled on it, then everything should've backed up to the iCloud. So if you know her Apple ID and password, then you can restore everything back. Do you know her Apple ID and password ?
Jaime, on the Mac open iTunes application. In iTunes, click on iTunes menu and select Preferences. Click on Devices tab and do you see the iPad listed under "Device Backups"
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Where do I find preferences

In the iTunes menu next to Apple icon (in iTunes application)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't see anywhere it says menu or preferences. I will have to finish this tomorrow. Thank you for your help!

Jaime, add a bookmark of this page so you can get back to me directly tomorrow.

I'll try me best to help you to recover without erasing the contents from iPad.

Open iTunes application from Applications folder and can't you see the iTunes menu (name of the menu is iTunes itself) in the top ?

Also do you know her Apple Id and password ?

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I have apple ID and password. I will bookmark. You are the best!!! TY so much.

You're most welcome Jaime.

We can continue tomorrow. Just reply back here when you are ready and I will get back to you ASAP.

Meantime, goto www.icloud.com and sign in with her Apple ID and password and see if you can access her data from there.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was able to get into icloud ok. Will come back much later today and try iPad. There was nothing stored in iCloud.

Let me know when you are back Jaime. I will be here for the next 8 hours

Best Regards,