Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

My iMac has started to freeze up and make a repeated 3-beep

My iMac has started to freeze up and make a repeated 3-beep alarm sound...I unplug it to make it stop and when I reboot, everything seems OK for a while, then BEEP..BEEP..BEEP.
What's up, and how do I fix it ?

Thanks JMS
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

I'm going to be honest with you. The BEEPS sound usually indicates a hardware problem. Three beeps indicates RAM problem. The RAM of your Mac is either damaged or loosened. Take out the RAMs from your Mac, clean them and put them back.

If you've more than 1 RAM module, then try one by one. This should help us to find out the problem RAM.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I wouldn't have a clue what that means. What will Apple charge me to repair it at their Store ?

Jock, RAM is a special type of chip (a type of memory like hard disk) installed on your Mac. Without RAM, your no Mac or PC will work.

Your Mac is trying to tell you that the RAM has failed. Installing or removing RAMs are very easy. See here :

This is not a software problem, but hardware related.

I'd recommend to try it before taking it to the store. The cost of the RAMs depends upon its capacity. Its worth a try

BTW The cost of RAM starts from $25 onwards.

Best Regards,
Jock, I also want you to try these steps below. Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command + Option + P + R keys for 10 seconds.

This method reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac (hardware reset method).

If that didn't work, turn off your Mac. Unplug the Power cable from your Mac. Wait 10 seconds. Reconnect it back and turn it back on. This method resets the System Management Controller of your Mac.

(No need to rate the answer again Jock)

Best Regards,