Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I just tried to download a program I have to use for my job.

Customer Question

I just tried to download a program I have to use for my job. I'm told that I need an app to open the program. How do I find out what app I need?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What is the name of the program you've downloaded ? Or what is the extension (like .exe) of the program ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

BEST Plus Administrator Practice CD. I don't know what you mean by .exe.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
What is the exact full name of the file you've downloaded ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've given you the exact full name. You know what, I've had it with Mac. I bought it because years ago I taught journalism and used a mac to lay out our paper. Easiest computer I ever used. Now, forget it! I have to drive to Charlotte to get help. Think I'll pull out that Toshiba I put away when I paid big bucks for this computer. I think Apple should use a warning label to potential buyers. Sorry. I know this isn't your fault, but I've never, ever had so much trouble being able to use a laptop.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
That file doesn't have an extension. For eg : A movie should have extension like Movie.MP4 or Movie.MOV

Both MP4 or MOV are the extension of that file and that tell your Mac what type of file is that. Without an extension, your Mac will not know what software to use to open it.

We've just troubleshooting and you didn't give me a chance to help you. I need more info to give you the best possible solution.

Right click on the file, select Get Info. From the get info window, what is the full name of the file ? Or could you please send me the link of the website you've downloaded the file ?

I believe you've downloaded a Windows application or a archive format that your Mac doesn't support.

Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

I am another expert on the site and I think I understand the issue you are having

The instructions on the BEST Plus webpage clearly states that "Mac users will need to have Boot Camp, Parallels, or VMware Fusion installed". So you will need to install one of these application on your Mac so it can it read and run that program from the CD or, like you said, use your old Toshiba laptop

Hope this helps

Thanks

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
If you need help with setting up Windows on your Mac, so you can run that application on your Mac, please let me know and I will help you to setup it.

Best Regards,