Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Mike I recently bought a MacBook Air because it is light and

I recently bought a MacBook Air because it is light and easy to haul around.
Since the Air has a relatively small hard drive, I store most of my files that I do not work with on a daily basis on an Ext Hard Drive. Recently I backed up my Ext Hard Drive to Dropbox. Now, on my MacBook in Finder, the "All My Files" folder shows all of the documents which reside only on my Ext Hard Drive and backed up toDropbox. My MacBook is sending me error messages saying the startup folder is full.

Dropbox is not a backup solution. It replicates whatever folder you choose as your Dropbox folder to your computer so basically you are duplicating your external drive on your internal hard drive. That is why it is now full.

On your internal drive open Macintosh HD then Users then yourusername folder, do you see a folder called Dropbox?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yep. Its there.

I am in the process of backing up the internal drive and external drive to BackBlaze. If I get rid of files that I have stored on DropBox that should alleviate problems with the start up drive being too full? Is the start up drive the same drive as the Macintosh HD??

You need to turn off DropBox first otherwise you will trash the original files on your external drive too. Yes Macintosh HD is your start up drive