Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

i just installed maya 2014 (student version) on my Macbook

i just installed maya 2014 (student version) software on my Macbook Pro. I already had 2013 on the machine (was open at the time if that means anything) 2014 installed and opened once, but i had difficulty closing and had to force quit (same with 2013). Now when i try to open either program they bounce around for a while and then stop and say they are not responding.

Edit: the activation prompt never showed up when i opened Maya 201 for the first time.

Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

First of all Macs do not have a registry, never have never will.
I do not think a reinstall is necessary at this time, we will ;look at other fixes first.

To start repairing permissions, this PDF exlains how and why.

Repairing Permissions

After that then do a pram reset, this is more than just a restart, does no harm to any data.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys all together at the same time.

‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P' all together at the same time.

Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound that your computer makes when it starts up, it is like a boonngg. The screen should also cycle from white to black and then back to white along with the chimes.

The sound should also get louder.

If you have a wireless keyboard then the procedure is a little bit different.

Use the very same keys but wait until the first chime and immediately press and hold those keys. I recommend getting your fingers ready because timing is critical.

It can take many trys to get it, any USB keyboard is preferable.

Substitute the Control key for the Command key, all others stay the same.

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.

This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

Try that and let me know.

An update please Alyspn, I like to be sure it is fixed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

things were fixed, thank you for your time.

You are very welcome. Thank you. I do suggest printing the instructions or saving them for future reference.
Should need assistance with something esle just click the link in my siginature.
Thanks again.