John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

iPad screen is broken so bad I can not get it to turn off or

iPad screen is broken so bad I can not get it to turn off or do anything games are running but can't shut them off or delete anything
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 10 months ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Do you mean it's physically broken, as in cracked, etc...or that it is merely unresponsive?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It will show games on the screen but will not do anything
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX it sounds like a software issue then?

First, let’s attempt resolving this issue with your Apple device by trying a hard reset, then proceed from there if that does not resolve the problem:

Disconnect the device from it's cord, if plugged in.

Press and hold your Sleep/Wake button (on the top) and Home button (on the front) together for around 10 seconds.

When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

The next thing you should see are the Apple logo followed by the home screen a few minutes later.

If the above does not work, plug it straight into a power outlet and try again.

See if your issue has been resolved.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a positive rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No that did not work
Are you able to actually load an app on the iPad? In otherwords, does it respond to touch in ANY way?
Angela, why are you rating poor service when you have yet to directly answer all the questions I've asked of you? I can only provide information based on the details you provide and I am not the fault of your issue. Good communication is required.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes I know that but I really did'nt know how to rate the rating system needs to be changed to some other way
Sadly, some people do have trouble with the rating system but Experts such as myself have no control over it (but bad ratings do however effect our livelihood if we got too many of them which is why I point out you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.).

If you'd like to continue I previously asked if you are able to actually load an app on the iPad? In other words, does it respond to touch in ANY way? Also, does the screen itself have any physical damage?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No it don't respond to touch and yes the screen is cracked and so are the outer edges and sorry for the poor rating I didn'tmeanthat you were not helpful
Thank you. I'm sorry the site was confusing for you and if you could simply change the rating the next time it appears then it would be appreciated.

Do you know which model of iPad you have?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
All I know it is iPad 2 and IIv'e had it for 2years
Thanks that is the information I need.

Due to the physical damage, it is likely the hardware use to recognize touch is also effected. Did you purchase any sort of AppleCare+ extended warranty when you bought the iPad?

Since you have a cracked screen this will not officially be covered under the normal limited warranty provided by Apple (and your original 1 year warranty would have expired). HOWEVER, ti wouldl be covered for around $49 under AppleCare+ replacement service but otherwise you would need to pay normal repair costs, sadly.

Apple occasionally offers a one-time courtesy (free) screen repair/replacement for iPads that are still under warranty, as well, but in your case you would need that extended AppleCare+ warranty. You would need to take the iPad to a local Apple Store and talk to a "Genius" there as it is under their discretion that replacements may be made. Generally, it's due to an "unfortunate circumstance" (My kid ran into me from around a corner and bumped it right out of my hand) and not given for carelessness (I left it on the top of my car and drove off.) However, do NOT mention that you are aware of this service.

If you don't have the AppleCare+ this does not work for you, so you might choose to use a reputable 3rd party repair service. You can usually expect to pay around $149 currently, if it's just the glass and digitizer (touch hardware).

Since you are in the US, I would recommend using iResQ in this case as they offer free diagnosis and recommend the most economical repair for you.:

http://www.iresq.com/ipad-repair/ipad-2-repair-replacement-service-parts.html

They also have a very fast turn-around.

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry