Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Hi Mary Im running Quark 7.3 on Mac 10.5.8, it was running

Hi Mary

I'm running Quark 7.3 on Mac 10.5.8, it was running fine yesterday and of course I'm needing to get some urgent work done today! I don't have any of the original software as I acquired the Mac as payment for a job. The Mac isn't connected to the Internet.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Regards

Paul
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Mary is not online today. I see that this is an urgent case. If you want, I'd try to help you to fix your problem. Let me know...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I'm running Quark 7.3 on Mac 10.5.8 PowerPC G5, when I try to open Quark the timing wheel appears, then I have to force quit.

it was running fine yesterday and of course I'm needing to get some urgent work done today! I don't have any of the original software as I acquired the Mac as payment for a job.

The Mac isn't connected to the Internet.

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Paul, could you please tell me how did you trashed the preferences ? I need to know whether you did it correctly or not.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

user>library>preferences>com.quark......plist

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Try this again. Goto Macintosh HD > Users >Home folder >Library>Preferences and trash the whole Quark folder. Don't empty the trash.

Then go to Maicintosh HD > Applications > QuarkXPress 7 folder and follow the steps below;

1 - Create a new folder and name it 'Preferences'

2 - Trash the JAWS folder (ignore this step if you can't see the JAWS folder).

3 - Open Xtension folder and move Avenue.quark,Font Retrieve,FontDownloading ,OPI QuarkCMS to the xtension disabled folder.

4 - Open, For system > QuarkXPress components > double click on it and install and when installing locate the QuarkXPress 7 folder.

Then try Quark. Please let know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Where will I find the Xtension folder?

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Can't you see that folder in the QuarkXpress 7 folder ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

There's nothing in it!

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
What ?! You mean there is nothing is the Xtension folder ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I found the items you said in the Quark 6.5 folder and put them in the Xtension disabled folder.

Is that OK?

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Yes Paul. Follow the remaining steps. Then open Quark. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Ashik

Where will I find...

Open, For system > QuarkXPress components

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
It is also in the QuarkXpress folder. Can't you find it ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Is being done now!

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Did it work ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I think so, but its saying I can't open Quark 7.3 from trash!

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Did you trashed Quark 7.3 from your Mac ? Open Trash and if you can see Quark 7.3 in there, then move it back to the Applications folder. Open Quark
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Still the same, the time wheel appears and I have to force quit Quark!

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Goto Macintosh HD > Library > Preferences (not the users > library > preferences) folder and can you see Quark folder and the quark plist file there ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

NO!

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Go to Macintosh HD > User > home folder > Library > Preferences folder and is the Quark and plist file still there ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

There's a folder with Quark in there with QuarkXpress 6 & 7 in there, but I can't see 'plist' there.

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Trash that entire Quark folder from there (from Preferences folder). Then open Quark. What happens ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

QuarkXpress 6 & 7?

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Trash Both or the main parent Quark folder in the Preferences folder.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Empty Trash?

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
No, not yet.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

FANTASTIC!! It works!!

What happens now, do I keep the items in the trash?

Please advise me. BUT THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Glad you got it worked Paul :)

The preferences of your Quark were corrupted. They are stored on the Quark folder in the Preferences folder. We've just trashed the old preferences files and the Quark will create new ones automatically.

No, Empty the trash Paul. You don't need them anymore.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me Positively. Bonuses are greatly appreciated

Have a great weekend,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Ashik

Thank you very much for all your help today, I'm very grateful to you for all your expert advice.

I hope you have a great weekend as well.

Paul

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
My Pleasure Paul :)

If you need any help in the future, please come back to us. Don't forget to rate this answer, so that I will get credit for helping you.

Best Regards,