Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

I have a Mac, iPad and iPhone. When I receive emails I only

I have a Mac, iPad and iPhone. When I receive emails I only receive them on my Mac and iPad. My iPhone advises that I 'Cannot get Mail. The account Bigpond is in use on another device'. lWhen I either turn S/MIME either on or off I am able to receive the missing email on my iPhone but subsequent emails on my iPhone are blocked again. Help please.
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today!

This issue occurs, when two IOS devices are fetching mail from a pop3 email account at the same time.

What you need to do, is edit this setting on both the ipad, and the iphone.

Settings > Mail, Contacts and Calendars > Fetch New Data.

Change the fetch new data to something like 5 minutes, or ten minutes on both devices..

You shouldnt have the issue anymore.. If you want your mail to refresh faster, you can experiment with shortening the fetch new data time on both devices by increments.
If the issue comes back, then you have shortened the time too much..

To prove this is whats causing the issue.. If you cut off the ipad and wait five minutes.. And then go to the home screen on your iphone, and t hen reopen the mail app.. It will allow you to make a connection without having to turn S/Mime on off.

Please try to edit the setting above on both devices, ( or at least on the ipad )

If you run into any issues carrying out these steps, please let me know. And if you need further assistance I will be happy to provide it!

Please take the time to rate my service by clicking one of the icons below and clicking submit.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Dustin.

Unfortunately, however, when I adjusted the Fetch New Data on both the iPad and iPhone to 15 minutes and sent a test email to my Mac, iPad and iPhone I was unable to receive the test email on my iPhone. I received the message 'Cannot get Mail. The account Bigpond is in use on another device'.

Understood Jo.

Lets try this.. Dont change anything.. Just turn off the Ipad..

And turn off the mac.. ( leave them off. )

Turn the iphone off, then on.. Then, wait two minutes.

And t hen try and check your mail on just the iphone..

What happens? ( after you check mail, you can turn the mac or ipad back on to reply as needed )

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dustin.

No that does not work either. I turned all three devices off, waited a couple of minutes and then turned the iPhone on and sent that account a test message. The message was received by my iPhone and when I turned my iPad on the message was also received on that device, but when I turned my Mac on I failed to get the test message. I then sent another test message to all three devices and was only able to receive it on my iPad. On my iPhone I got the message that I referred to earlier and nothing at all on my Mac.

Help again please.

Ok.. So with everything off.. The iphone received a message without issue..

When the other devices were turned on.. The iphone stopped receiving the messages.

can you check and see if your using bigpod through

to do so, click this link, and then sign into your bigpond email account

What version of bigpond does it say your using?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again Dustin,

The email status says 'your mailbox has not yet been updated to

Thanks Jo..

I thought as much.. Ok, the link below references the exact issue your having

We ran through the accepted and suggested repair steps, and we werent able to resolve the issue.

Im not saying that were out of hope, but were on experimental territory here.

What im going to suggest, is that you run through the process to update to the new outlook version of bigpond email.

The entire process is shown below.. This will get all your devices working correctly, as outlook will allow all devices to work at the same time without issue.

Once updated, the page has steps to show you how to update your email settings on your mac.

And at the end, also on your ipad / iphone.

If you run into any issues carrying out these steps, please send a reply and let me know. But whats for certain is that once you are fully upgraded to the new version of bigpond email, you wont have this issue any more.

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green submit button to rate the answer. We can still communicate after rating, as rating does not end the conversation.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Dustin.

Bigpond have advised that it will take up to 24 hours to update our system. We have two email accounts with Bigpond. Mine ([email protected]) is the primary account and Mary's account ([email protected]) is the one having the problems we have been talking about. Does that mean that both of our accounts will be updated by this process or will I have to update mine later?

To be honest, Im not sure if it would upgrade both accounts, at the same time Jo.

To be safe, I would log into the upgrade page, from both of your emails.

and then, once the update is complete.. Make sure to run through the steps to change the email settings on your mac, and also on your iphones and ipad accordingly ...

Dustin S.