James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience:  Mac Expert

At Iphoto I have dublicated a photo. I then clicked export

At Iphoto I have dublicated a photo. I then clicked export . (I want to send that photo by e-mail). I get a sign where I can choose from web...to slidge. So I realize that clicking export was not what I wanted.
Another sign has appeared which says: Alert: The photo "..." could not be opened, because the priginal item cannot be found.
I can not get rid of this sign...because I can not find the photo.
Getting this sign up has happened before. Nothing to do except to close the application Iphoto.
My question is: Does Iphoto sometimes come up with wrong signs? Is it unsafe to keep many photos on iphoto (i have 1.165 photos on Iphoto).
6 years ago on another Machintosh-computer the iphoto-applications got overstressed and I lost my photos (found them again but didn´t dare use the iphoto anymore.
I am now on Mac Os10.8 is the iphoto a good application for many photos?
Category: Mac
Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X appreciate the oppurtunity to assist you today.
I will do my best to answer your question!

iPhoto is a great application, and it is very safe. It can hold and handle many thousands of photos.
The problem you are describing doesn't sound like it is related to iPhoto - it sounds more like corruption on your hard drive, that made the photo file corrupt or deleted.

If you have replaced your computer or hard drive since then, this shouldn't happen again.

If you have any other questions or need more information, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond!
I'd appreciate it if you can rate my service using the faces below my answer.

Many thanks,

James.
James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience: Mac Expert
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X will assist you today!

When you say that sometimes iphoto cant find a photo, but then,

You close Iphoto, and reopen it, and then it can find the photo.. Thats not an issue with the hard drive.

Thats an issue with your iphoto library database, and permissions.

We need to do some repairs to iphoto to fix this.. Please check the link below.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2638

The steps you want to do first, is the one labeled, repair iphoto library..

That should fix the issue your having, If not.. Then you and I may need to go through other repairs, such as a permissions repair shown below

To open Disk Utility, from the Applications folder, open Utilities, and then double-click the Disk Utility icon.

In the column on the left, click your startup disk ( Mac HD )

Click the First Aid tab, and then click Repair Disk Permissions. Disk Utility will reset any files and folders with incorrect settings.

Whats for certain though, is that if iphoto just needs to be restarted to find the files, then this is a file corruption issue, and we need to repair it.

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green submit button to rate the answer. We can still communicate after rating, as rating does not end the conversation.

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you.

I have I think realized what is wrong. If this confusion in iphoto happens again I will do what you advice me. thanks.

Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Understood.. Could you take the time to reply and let us know whose advice it was you felt helped you?

the advice that , ""If you have replaced your computer or hard drive since then, this shouldn't happen again.""

Or my advice to attempt repairing iphotos database, and possibly permissions.

Thank you,

Dustin S.