Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Mac Expert, 7+ years of experience in installation and trouble shooting of mac osx and apps
50064670

I have a 21.5" iMac running on OS 10.6.8. It will not boot

I have a 21.5" iMac running on OS 10.6.8. It will not boot up. After pressing the power button, the computer appears to be booting - there is a blue screen with a rotating gear but a 3 1/4" progress bar, which I have never seen before, appears at the bottom of the screen. The progress bar goes about 1/4", restarts the computer, goes about 1/4" again, and then turns off the computer.

Please read the answer to the question I posed on 06/04,2012. I just tried this and it didn't work.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

Please try a safeboot by following below steps.

1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.
  2. Press the power button.
  3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
  4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).
  5. Wait while safe mode boots up. It will take a lot longer than regular OS X.
  6. Log in (press shift-enter instead of enter after putting in your password XXXXX log in without login items.)
  7. You are in safe mode

Safe mode will run disk repair, and ignores the cache of kernel extensions. Restart the system and boot normally.

If you're unable to start your Mac in Safe Boot mode, or your Mac starts in Safe Boot mode, but it won't start up normally, you can try the following:

Reset PRAM

Reset SMC

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I pressed the power button and pressed the Shift key immediately after the startup tone. I got a blue screen and the Apple icon. I held the Shift key for over five minutes and nothing else happened. I released the Shift key and got the Apple icon, the spinning gear and a progress bar lower on the screen. The progress bar went about 1/4" of the 3 1/4' length and then shut down the computer.

I never got to the Safe Boot mode. I have tried the procedure above more than once to be sure I was doing the procedure correctly and I get basically the same results.

I looked at the descriptions for Reset PRAM and Reset SMC. Which should I try?

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, It sounds like mac can't boot into safemode also. Now Reset SMC and if it not helps, Reset PRAM. Let me know the result.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried the Reset SMC. I unplugged the Mac. Then, pressed and held the power button for a little over 15 seconds, reconnected the power cord, waited a little over 5 seconds and started the Mac. The result was a blue screen, the Apple icon, the rotating gear, the progress bar moving about 1/4", and then shutting down the Mac.

I was ready to try the Reset PRAM but the procedure calls for pressing and holding down four keys simultaneously one of which is the Command key. Is this Command key the same as the Control key? I don't want to mess up the computer further.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Yes,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My iMac keyboard has Control, Option, and Apple keys. The Macbook laptop computer I am using to type this message has fn, control, option, and command (Apple pretzel). I'm confused with your answer.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
You can use the control key on your imac keyboard for PRAM resetting.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried the Restart PRAM. I started with the computer off. I turned on the computer and before the grey screen appeared, I pressed and held the Control, Option, and the P and R keys. The grey screen had the Apple icon, the spinning gear, and restarted on its own. Upon hearing the startup chime, I released the four keys. The Apple icon, rotating gear, and a progress bar appeared. After the progress bar reached about 1/4" on the 3 1/4" bar, the computer shut itself off'.

I repeated the procedure with the four keys being Option, Apple, P and R. The results were the same as above.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, now perform an Apple Hardware Test (AHT) which contains a suite of diagnostics that will test the hardware of your computer.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have read through the information about AHT. I am not sure exactly what to do. My initial installation was OS 10.4 and the current OS is 10.6.8 Also, it appears that most of the procedures require that the computer be up and running. Please take me step by step through the AHT. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I still don't know why I can't open my computer and Jins is off line.
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, for the delay in reply. Do you have the Mac OS X Install disk or Apple Software Restore disc ?

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will look. It will take me a few minutes,

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I hope you have the disk. I need to go now. So let me give my suggestions. Sometimes a disk error or permission related error will cause file corruption. In such a case mac will become unstable. So, first try to Repair Disk Permission. You need to use Disk Utility to Repair Disk and the Repair Disk Permissions. Check this tutorial to see how to use disk utility for these functions.

If it not helps, you need to re-install mac osx. Your files and settings will not be touched as long as you don't specifically tell the installer to erase them. Follow below steps to re-install osx.

1. Insert your Mac OS X Install DVD or Installation Disc 1.
2. Restart the computer and hold down the letter "C" as the computer starts up.
3. Continue to hold down the letter "C" until you see a grey screen with an Apple and a small spinning gear.
4. Select your language on the Welcome to the Mac OS X Installer screen and click "Continue".
5. Click "Continue" on the following screen.
6. After reading the Software License Agreement, click "Agree".
7. Select the volume to which you are going to install. "Macintosh HD" is the default name.
8. Click the "Options" button in the bottom corner of the window and select your installation type.
9. Click "OK" and then "Continue". You will be presented with a confirmation window at which point you can click "Install" to proceed.

I hope re-install will fix the issue. Try and let me know the result.

Regards
Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I found two grey disks - Mac OS X version 4.8 Install Disc 1 and Install Disc 2.

I also found another disk - Mac OS X Leopard Install DVD version 10.5.

Which one should I use?

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
10.5 is Leopard. Your current version is 10.6 right ? That is Snow Leopard Don't you have it's installation disk ? Actually you need the installation disk of same version. But, I think you can try Disk Repair with the Leopard Disk.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning,

I inserted the Leopard install disk and then powered up the computer. The Apple icon, spinning gear, and progress bar appeared. The progress bar went about 1/4" and then powered down the computer. I tried this twice and got the same result both times. Now what can I try?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The Leopard disc is in the computer. I turned on the computer and the Apple icon, the spinning gear, and the progress bar appeared. The progress bar went about 1/4" and the computer turned off. Now I don't know how to get the Leopard disc out of the computer.

I will try AHT as you suggest. I think I should use the Section, "Using Apple Hardware Test on computers with OS X 10.5.5 to 10.6.7" because the last sentence says to go to the Section for OS version 10.7. BUT WHAT INSTALLATION DISC DO I USE? It seems that I will not be able to get to the AHT program because the computer isn't even reading the disc.

I do not have any discs for the Snow Leopard; I downloaded the update from the computer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can't get the computer to read the Leopard disc. I tried holding down the "C" key while powering up. It didn't work.

I figured out how to get the disc out of the disc drive on the computer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ARE YOU GETTING MY MESSAGES?

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay in reply. Disconnect all peripheral devices such as external hard drives or printers (leave only the display, a keyboard, and mouse connected).Disconnect any Ethernet cables. Then try to boot your system.

If it not helps, the error is with the hard disk. So you need to buy a third party utility to repair your disk. I like to suggest Disk Warrior or TechTool Pro, with Disk Warrior being the more popular of the two. As long as there is not a hardware issue, Disk Warrior can usually repair what Disk Utility cannot. Disk Warrior is available from http://www.alsoft.com/diskwarrior/

Click here
to seehow to boot from disk warrior cd.

You are not able to boot your system, then another option is connecting your system with another mac machine with a firewire cable to perform a targetmode boot. Click here to see how to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode

Otherwise you need to take the disk from the system and then you can connect the drive to a sata-to-USB adapter or put it in a hard disk enclosure then connect it to another Mac system. From there, depending on the level of corruption you should be able to copy data from the disk or can repair the disk with third party tools.

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It seems that you are suggesting that the problem is the hard disk drive. Is that right?

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like a corrupted file issue. Usually hard disk errors causes file corruption. A malfunctioning or conflicting peripheral also may the cause of this issue. To check that, please disconnect all peripheral devices such as external hard drives or printers (leave only the display, a keyboard, and mouse connected).Disconnect any Ethernet cables. Then try to boot your system.If still you can't boot, you need to perform dis repair or OS re-install.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had disconnected all peripheral devices but one thing I had never thought of is that I was using a wireless keyboard and mouse. I replaced those with a standard keyboard and mouse. Then, I tried the Leopard install disc using the "C" key when I started. The Leopard install disc OS v 5 came up on the screen.

I was going through the install process very slowly when I began to get instructions that made me extremely nervous. Some steps said that if I performed the install I was going to lose all my data/files. Since I have over 800,000 files, I backed off and ejected the install disc.

So, it may have been all along that I couldn't open the computer because something was wrong with the wireless keyboard or mouse.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
First of all please check weather you are able to boot your system with the standard keyboard and mouse.

Your current OS is newer than the OS you are trying to install. So, you may loss your files if you continue with the old OS installation. Instead doing new installation, you need to use Disk Utility to Repair Disk and the Repair Disk Permissions. Check this tutorial to see how to use disk utility for these functions. You should use standard keyboard and mouse when performing repairs.

If disk repair using disk utility not helps, you need to buy a third party utility to repair your disk. I like to suggest Disk Warrior or TechTool Pro, with Disk Warrior being the more popular of the two. As long as there is not a hardware issue, Disk Warrior can usually repair what Disk Utility cannot. Disk Warrior is available from http://www.alsoft.com/diskwarrior/

Click here
to seehow to boot from disk warrior cd.

Regards

Jins

Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience: Mac Expert, 7+ years of experience in installation and trouble shooting of mac osx and apps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jins M.N.,

I want to thank you for your help. I know this has been a difficult problem to solve and you have systematically moved through the tests. I have just purchased DiskWarrior at your suggestion and after reviewing the advertisement/information for the DVD. So, I believe we are done with the project.

I have one important suggestion: tell everyone that you help to make sure they use a standard keyboard and mouse - do not use a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. That may have saved use some time.

Thank you,

Gordon

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Hello Sir, Yes you are right from now I will ensure the customer using a standard keyboard and mouse before assisting. Now, please give my answer a positive rating. Then only I will get paid for my time and efforts. A good bonus will make me more happy. Feel free to contact me when you need any assistance.

. You can ask a question directly to me by going to http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-jinsmn/

Regards
Jins