Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Hi, final cut pro x keeps quitting after several minutes of

Hi, final cut pro x keeps quitting after several minutes of use.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ? When did this problem started ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

10.7.5

Problem started today. I have many projects I am currently working on with fcp x

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are you able to call me and try to solve problem over the phone? XXX-XXX-XXXX

This usually happens if there is any problem with the media files, preferences etc

Can you try opening any other projects ? Or does this happens with any particular project ?

Sorry JustAnswer won't allow me to call you as it is against the policy. We can communicate only through here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i will try other projects

Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

now it's starting and quitting within 5 seconds.

Neil, First we can reset the preferences of FCP X. Follow the steps below

• In the Finder, hold down the Option key and choose Library from the Go menu.
  • In the Library folder that opens, open the Preferences folder and trash the following files (don't empty the trash)
com.apple.FinalCut.LSSharedFileList.plist
com.apple.FinalCut.LSSharedFileList.plist.lockfile
com.apple.FinalCut.plist
com.apple.FinalCut.plist.lockfile
UserDestinations.plist

Now open FCP and this should ask you to setup some basic things. Then try to open your Projects.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did what you asked. but there was no file

Final cut did open for 2 minutes. then it quit. I tried to open it again and it quit right away.

Can you delete some of the last imported videos from your Mac (don't empty trash) or move them to another location and open FCP ? Did that work ?
Do you have another user account on your Mac ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no other account on my mac. What is the proper way to delete last imported video?

The imported videos are saved on the Documents folde > Find Cut Pro Documents > Capture Scratch.

Also delete the unwanted videos from there
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok did this. It might be working now. The new files I had imported were mp4- Does this not work with tcp? If not, can i convert them to something else?

It will work, but MP4 doesn't work properly as your FCP have to render everytime you use the file. The native format of FCP is .MOV

I'd recommend to convert those FCPs to Quicktime format (MOV). You can use this free converter to convert the videos : http://www.squared5.com/

Let me know how it goes Neil.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, also, what do i do with those files from the library that you told me to put into trash?

You can delete the unwanted videos, the ones you don't need anymore.Put the other ones back to the folder. we already identified that the problem is with the video files.

Delete all the preferences (plist files) from the Trash.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX did this cost me?

I think this question costs $78. Remember, I've no control over the prices nor I do fix prices. I can only answer the questions. JustAnswer and you decides the cost of the question.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me Positively. So that I will get credit for helping you.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FCPX is quitting again. It seems that unless i do those steps where I go into the finder library and delete those four files, it quits.

Delete the preferences files again. Also, trash unused projects and videos from your Mac.

Delete one or two last imported files from your Mac. Then try FCP. If it quits, then delete again some imported files and try FCP. This will help us to isolate the problem files.

Let me know if it quits again.
Hi there, Just checking. How is it going ?
Hi Neil,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks for using JustAnswer.

I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

Thanks and Have a great day,