Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

hello, I cant start my macbook

hello, I cant start my macbook
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

What does it do? Anything at all, beeps, flashes, fan sounds or just a black screen?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Daniel, thanks for your time.

So,it does want to start, the fan starts, the disk makes a start noise (or maybe the dvd, not sure) but the normal starting sound, and then it just goes off. should also say that the charger light is dim green, though the charger does work in other macs, that much I know.... sorry about that, but a bit desperate here.

thank you

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.
Rodrigo what you say so far does not sound promising.

It does or does not have the normal startup chime? Not clear about that.

The charger shows normal green on other Macs but in this one it is off color, correct?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Ok, this is all about it, and lets see if we can get this thing working.

A couple of months ago took the computer to clean, came back ok, but fan not working proper. A few days later, it just stopped working, pretty much the same as it is happening now. Yesterday, read a bit about it and found out you need to reset your fan, and so I did, and it started working. Charger off color, icon on computer saying battery wasnt present but was charging and could run on bettery no worries. Just couldnt turn the computer off, cause I did it to test it and it was a pain to get it to work again, but managed to.
Yesterday, someone not knowing that I had to have the computer working all the time took the charger out,so it went out again. Later, tried to turn it on, nothing worked some times, and other times did what it is doing today, just goes of as son as you hear the chime. Left it connected on the charger, but computer off all night and today, it started working, but with a mac folder with a question mark on it blinking. Tried what people said to do, "power and shift", power and the crtl, p, r and funtcion or wahtever, tried power option s, everything possible. Nothing worked, folder never disappeared and now it just went back to the same thing.... tries to start, you hear the chime, but straight away is turns off. And yes, the light on the charger is off colour, but sometimes, once in a while it did flash the normal green. Im really lost here and I need this sorted out ASAP. Can you help please? Thank you so much

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.
First you need a new battery but that may not be enough. Running it with a bad battery or no battery is bad for it.

Second, an SMC reset may help. I do not know the model but it sounds like one the batter can be easily taken out so I will go with that. If it is one that the back has to be removed then please tell me.

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
  3. Remove the battery.
  4. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
  5. Release the power button.
  6. Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
  7. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
The pram keys are Option, Command, R and P.

The folder means it can find no system to boot from.

Do you have install DVDs? If so there are tools on that that will help.

Try that and let me know.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

nop, nothing works still...

dvd not working for years now, but doesnt matter, dvd with all is back home and I am in another country. so.... what else can I do?! Any thoughts??

macbook from late 2008 13 inches

an awesome machine, but just playing games with me now....

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.
I hate to say this but it sounds like it needs an overhaul at an Apple store.
It is 5 years old, they wear out. Having it rebulit will probably cost less than replacing it but not by a lot.
I do think the logic board is all but dead. I know a lot of dust can acumilate inside and cause all kinds of problems.
You could try reseating the RAM but that is a very long shot.
I have had to give up a few Apples that wore out so I feel your pain, there comes a time that nothing more can be done.

Hardware I cannot do anything with,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for your time, I'll see what the tecsupport in here can do for me.

All the best,

Rodrigo

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.
If they are not trained Mac techs then I would hesitate. Windows machines are altogether different.
Mostly with software but hardware also.
With an install DVD there is hope, small but hope.
Good luck.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.