John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

my iphone s4 is stuck in recovery mode i cannot restore i cannot

my iphone s4 is stuck in recovery mode i cannot restore i cannot loose data please help!!!!
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 10 months ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

However, before we continue I want to make it clear that we may not be successful and that if certain required conditions are not met then data may not be recoverable. I'll be happy to assist you but your final answer may not be a pleasant one and as this can be a very frustrating answer, I must ask you to not shoot the messenger.

If you are willing to continue, please let me know whether your computer is a Mac or Windows based PC and please provide details on how your iPhone became inoperable.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

i hav an older mac book pro, my iphone wouldn't load my photos to iphoto so i went thru the steps to go to image capture to set it up so i can down load the photos ( still on the phone) a pop up said new version of itunes install or update i hit cancel then clicked PTP camera and the itunes picture showed on the phone and from there on it was frozen and wants to be restored. but i need the info please please, i need you best advise not to loose my pictures!!

Okay, can you tell me how you normally sync this iPhone? Is it with iTunes or with iCloud?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

usually i just plug it into usb and open iphoto and it loads automatically this time it didn't but itunes opened, before i would just open itunes if i wanted to add music, i just use it for my photos mostly, i don't change the music much at all. but it did't want to load it i didn't even show as a plugged in device this time. so i was trying to get it to see iphote by doing the steps in activity monitor, PTP camera and image capture then it said to unplug the phone and plug it back in but that is where it already froze on the itunes ubs picture screen and wants to restore when i plug it in

Okay, leave it unplugged and/or turned off for the moment.

Open iTunes

in the menu bar at the top of the screen click "iTunes" and choose Preferences

Then choose the "Devices" tab in Preferences

You should see a listing of back ups there. Are there any for your iPhone?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes it shows my iphone

Great. Is the date something recent that would hold the photos that you are looking for in your camera roll?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

it says 10;06 today but it never opened the photos so i can see if they are there. would it be there if it just quit?

Unless the backup is corrupted, then it *should* contain any photos you may be missing. iTunes will backup camera roll photos only. So if they were photos taken with the iPhone then they should be included.

For reasons unknown your iPhone software has crashed so at this point the best bet is to restore this backup. You can double-check what photos may be there first by downloading and running the following software:

http://www.iphonebackupextractor.com

When it runs, it should detect this backup. Do NOT extract anything but see what it lists for Photos. It should tell you the number of photos backed up.

Once you do that, assuming it shows photos are in the backup then you can safely plug the iPhone back in and let iTunes Restore the backup. It should lead you through the process and take around 20-30 minutes, give or take, depending on the speed of your internet connection.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

the back up extractor says it cannot load with the os version i'm running

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

10.5.8 and i checked for software updates but it said none for this mac at this time

Okay, you are running a rather old version of OS X on this Mac and it is no longer supported by this tool.

As such, you're going to have to go straight to the restore.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

can i use that rec boot, or recovery something or how would i restore my contacts etc. Sasktel lost a years worth of my e;mail, and the only only copies i hav is on the phone will that be gone as well as the photos txt messages everything??

As long as the back up is complete and uncorrupted, then it can restore the following data, (which does NOT include email messages but DOES include photos, texts, etc...);

Contacts* and Contact Favorites (regularly sync contacts to a computer or cloud service such as iCloud to back them up).
App Store Application data including in-app purchases (except the Application itself, its tmp and Caches folder).
Application settings, preferences, and data, including documents.
Autofill for webpages.
CalDAV and subscribed calendar accounts.
Calendar accounts.
Calendar events.
Call history.
Camera Roll (Photos, screenshots, images saved, and videos taken. Videos greater than 2 GB are backed up with iOS 4.0 and later.)
Note: For devices without a camera, Camera Roll is called Saved Photos.
Game Center account.
Home screen arrangement.
In-app purchases.
Keychain (this includes email account passwords, Wi-Fi passwords, and passwords you enter into websites and some other applications. If you encrypt the backup with iOS 4 and later, you can transfer the keychain information to the new device. With an unencrypted backup, you can restore the keychain only to the same iOS device. If you are restoring to a new device with an unencrypted backup, you will need to enter these passwords again.)
List of External Sync Sources (MobileMe, Exchange ActiveSync).
Location service preferences for apps and websites you have allowed to use your location.
Mail accounts (mail messages are not backed up).
Installed Profiles. When restoring a backup to a different device, installed configuration profiles are not restored (such as accounts, restrictions, or anything which can be specified through an installed profile.) Any accounts or settings that are not associated with an installed profile will still be restored.
Map bookmarks, recent searches, and the current location displayed in Maps.
Microsoft Exchange account configurations.
Network settings (saved Wi-Fi hotspots, VPN settings, network preferences).
Nike + iPod saved workouts and settings.
Notes.
Offline web application cache/database.
Paired Bluetooth devices (which can only be used if restored to the same phone that did the backup).
Safari bookmarks, cookies, history, offline data, and currently open pages.
Saved suggestion corrections (these are saved automatically as you reject suggested corrections).
Messages (iMessage and carrier SMS or MMS pictures and videos).
Trusted hosts that have certificates that cannot be verified.
Voice memos.
Voicemail token. (This is not the voicemail password, but is used for validation when connecting. This is only restored to a phone with the same phone number on the SIM card).
Wallpapers.
Web clips.
YouTube bookmarks and history.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

i just cant get myself to hit that restore button, what if the version of itunes after it upgrades doesn't work with the mac 10.5.8 or something like that?? i hav the worst luck with these things. if i restore it and it updates that then will i be able to run the old program and will i be able to access iphoto? i'm scared to do this but i need my phone to work, is there no other way to get it not to upgrade it ?

Are you receiving a message to update iTunes in addition to the Restore message?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes i did it said a newer version is available, i have to work at 6 am and i need this phone to work please can i call you and talk me thru it please i am really tired, i assume u are helpin g other people aswell but i really need this fixed fast please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

i tunes is 10.6.3 now not updated yet again because of older os version

I'm sorry but JustAnswer does not allow us to contact customers outside of the site so as much as I would like to, I'm not in a position to do so...

However, you should be able to close the iTunes update notice and then just do the restore but if it offers an update it should be fine to accept. Since you don't use iCloud this iTunes back up is really your only hope to recover any possible data.

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry