Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

Hello Daniel, I am running Windows7 on Parallel on my Mac.

Customer Question

Hello Daniel, I am running Windows7 on Parallel on my Mac. I lost my password XXXXX our IT used an old snapshot to restore my access. However, it is an 1 year old and now I've lost all my pst archives and all my files. Is there a way to recover it? Thank you very much
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only silly question is the unasked one.

Yes, there is but that is a qualified yes.
It requires that you had a backup such as Mosey or Carbonite, then it is easy.
For Parallels there is a folder called VM backup that may have what you are looking for.
It is found in Documents in your Home folder.

You said a snapshot was used to get you back in. Do you mean into your Mac or the Windows?
This may help with your problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Dan, I didn't do any back up since 1 year... I know horrible and irresponsible. I looked into my mac documents for the folder but not there, is that because I never once run a back up?

Snapshot was used to get back into my virtual windows.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
The main issue here is the file system that Windows uses, plus when th eIT did what they did means you are trying to go forwards, backwards isn't too hard.

This may be of help.
Managing Snapshots It is for use with Parallels. Worth a try.

As long as a more recent shot is available then you might recover some of the data.

That is about all I have but I will keep looking and if I find more I will let you know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Daniel, my snapshot was a year ago which reverted me to that state and all my data, files, outlook pst archieves etc for the last 1 year is lost and or deleted.

What I can use help on if to know if someone eventhough I didn't back up that these files is somewhere in my MAC hard drive and that I can recover them? I am always hearing that no matter how much you clean up your pc etc that these files are somewhere in there still... I hope this is the case :(

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
They are, getting to them iffy.
There is this (I have and use this myself) that can find all kinds of stuff.
This is built for Windows. Better possiblities.

Same company and that is a good thing, great results on Macs.

Bet you start backing up, right?
I learned the hard way myself, now it backs up every day.
Do not try to use Time Machine for backing up the Windows, doesn't work.
Use Windows backup - Google Search one of these, Carbonite is good.
That help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Dan, I think I am going to slowly give up on this... very sad and will have a huge impact on my job. I went rough and started using MAC a year ago instead of the company issued Dell! So firstly, internal IT doesnt support BYOD and MAC and most crucial is I was too idiotic and didn't back up.

On the data rescue PC3, does it work on virtual machine? Since my Win7 is on a virtual environment and actually sits on my MAC book? Shouldn't the hard drive be the Mac HD?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
I see no reason for it not to. There should be instructions on how to do it.
Start the Windows and use the disk, make sure you read all docs before you buy it so you know what you are getting into.
Not that IT depts are bad but most fly by the seat of their pants, at least those I have had contact with.
Macs do not exist for them, very foreign.

You will need an external drive to write any files it finds, that way it won't overwrite what you are trying to save.

Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I agree with you on that... terrible since my mac never gave me any issues :)

OK will try this, is there a free sw you know about?

Thank you for being so helpful...

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
None that I would trust, Maria.
I do suggest backing up the Mac also, it is a machine and will break, not if but when.
I use wireless backup to a Time Capsule (Actually an Airport Extreme with a USB drive attacthed), a Time Capsule is the Extreme with a built-in hard drive.
Set to backup at midnight every day.
Painless.
It is also top of the line router.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK thank you so much, will follow your advise... :)

Take care,
Maria

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome and I hope it works out for you. If you would like help again just use the link in my siginature.
Thank you Maria.