James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience:  Mac Expert

Can the Walkera quadcopter be taken into nature? How far away

Customer Question

Can the Walkera quadcopter be taken into nature? How far away from the iPhone can it go?
Category: Mac
Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.

Are you going to maintain line of sight to the copter?

J.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

There might be tress or it might fly around a mountain

Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.
Thank you.

Your range is going to be around 80 meters, give or take (around 230 feet).

Hope this helps!

If you have any other questions or need more information, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond!
I'd appreciate it if you can rate my service using the faces below my answer.

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

How far can drone go if it is in line of sight?

Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.
That's going to be the range, more or less - around 80 meters, line of sight or "soft" object.
Around a mountain can drop this to 30-40 meters, depending on the composition of the mountain.

Many thanks,

James.
James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience: Mac Expert
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is a wifi box needed (if going out into nature) or does the helpcam interface directly with the iPhone?)
Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.

This model uses a Wifi box - you must have one at all times while flying the copter.

J.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How are such (portable) Wifi boxes powered (ex. While out in nature)? Is there a special brand that works which you would recommend?
Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.
Are you going to have a car with you, and can power the router off the car's lighter socket?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Will all wifi boxes work with a car plug/battery or is a special DC wifi box needed?
Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.
Any router will work with a car-lighter-to-ac converter. They don't take up much power, so that's not an issue. Just make sure not to use it for too long with the engine off, so you don't get stuck out there.

You can get one of those at any place that sells car stuff, like Kragen's, Pep Boys, etc:

You can also get a battery-powered portable router, but the range is probably going to be less good than a home router.

http://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-MWR211-802-11n-Battery-Wireless/dp/B0046REF9K

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your help!
Have a nice day! :-)
Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.
You too, and thanks!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If the range of WiFi box is 80 meters, the iPhone is 80 meters away from WiFi box, and the XHeli is also 80 meters from Wi-Fi, couldn't the total distance between iPhone and XHeli be 160 meters?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I already paid $38. How long does that last? It mentions somewhere that the first week is free. Is that correct?
Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.

It lasts as long as you wish for this question.

Most wifi routers will provide 60-80 meters with direct line of site.
If the copter is 60-80 meters away and the controller is 60-80 meters away from the router, you will be fine.

J.