John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

I am trying to mount an SSD into my Mac Pro mid 2010, but get

I am trying to mount an SSD into my Mac Pro mid 2010, but get the message that my system won't read the disk. What should I do?
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Did you install this as an internal drive and is it a secondary drive or are you trying to install OS X on it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's an internal secondary drive.

Thanks, Paul.

Assuming no other issues, you should just need to partition it with Disk Utility:

Open the Disk Utility app located in Applications > Utilities.

In Disk Utility, choose your hard drive from the listing in the left sidebar and then choose the "Partition" tab.

Under Volume Scheme, click "Current" and choose "1 Partition".

Name your hard drive on the right side and choose "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as the format.

Now click Apply.

Once the process has completed, exit Disk Utility.

Your drive should be functional and ready for use.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks a lot for your help! It worked :-D

You are very welcome!

Please feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. I can assist with a myriad number of issues.

I can be reached directly via the following page:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

By the way... I just learned that my disk went from 480 GB capacity to 310 GB after the partition. Kind of boring to miss 170 gigs of my space. Any way to get the missing gigs running again?

Hi Paul,

That sounds like a sizable amount of space lost. Right-click on the icon for the SSD in Finder and choose Get Info. Can you tell me what it shows for the following items under "General":

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Cap: 479,76

Av: 306,23

Used: 173,53

Okay, I assume for Format it says Mac OS Extended (Journaled)?

If you look on the SSD drive in Finder, do you see any folders?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, it is Mac OS Extendended (Journaled). I see two folders on my drive. They are plugins being installed as we speak.

Plugins for what?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sample library for music production.

Okay, if you right click on the folders you see and choose Get Info, does it seem like they are taking up the space that is missing?

According to the previous data you provided, the SSD is indeed being properly recognized with a capacity of 479GB, so 170+GB is currently being used by data of some sort.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

18,4 GB atm. That is a lot les than 170 GB...

Yes it is...

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay, on that same screen, click More Info and then Storage.

It should list the SSD. Can it identify what is using the bulk of space?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yeah, it currently 183,4 GB on "Other".

You mentioned 18.4GB earlier, are you sure that wasn't 183.4GB instead? It is certainly data of some sort taking up this space rather than an issue with the drive itself.

There isn't a backups.backupdb folder on this drive, is there?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am sure it was 18,4 earlier, cause it's 44,63 GBs now.

No backup folder.

Ok. Does about this Mac > More Info show any change?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

246,92 GB available from total 479, 76 GB.

Sound: 0

Films: 0

Images: 0

Applications: 0

Backups: 0

Other: 232, 84 GB

Okay, so it's really just a matter of finding what files are using the bulk of the space, if possible.

Open the SSD in the Finder,

Click View > As List in the menu bar

Click View > Show View Options in the menu bar

Make Sure "Calculate All Sizes" has a check mark next to it.

Give it a minute and it should display the size of everything in the Finder window.

Does it provide any clue where the space is being used?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just the two folders mentioned are showing in list view, with the sizes 403 kB on the first one, and 70,65 GB on the second one.

Okay, since it's not readily apaprent what is taking up the space, I might recommend erasing the drive once more and then monitoring it after the fact. It's possible something was using swap space on the drive but that's a lot of space to go missing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Guess what: It actually worked! :-D I deleted both folders from the disk and reinstalled the software, and now it only takes up the space of the software. Don't know what was different this time, but all good now. Thanks!

Two more questions: I just installed a Kingston HyperX 3K ssd drive into my Mac Pro. It has what is called Sata 3, but some people says that Mac Pro mid 2010 only have Sata 2. Is this true and will this affect the performance of the disk?

Where do I monitor the ongoing performance on my disk? And where do I monitor the RAM performance?

Great, glad to hear it!

Yes, they only have SATA II support... and this will certainly effect performance to some degree but you are still taking advanatage of other things in a SATA III drive such as the fact they are generally faster, have larger caches, etc... than SATAT II drives.

If you want to monitor the hardware in your system, you may look at Activity Monitor located in Applications > Utilities.