Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

My 150 Mb-2CAH/QGC drive has disappeared from my Mac desktop.

My 150 Mb-2CAH/QGC drive has disappeared from my Mac desktop. It was there for along time. It is USB connected, green light on. Is it broken? How can I get it started?

[email protected]
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today!

Question, what version of Mac OS do you have.. To find out, click the apple symbol at the top left,

then click about this mac, and then let me know the version number..

10.6.8 10.7.4 or 10.8.4 ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Gerald.

If we go to your finder, type in disk utility , and then start the disk utility app.

What volumes are showing on the disk utility window? ( to the left )

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry delay. Disk utility window, left, shows Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD 2 only

The mac HD 2.. That may be your drive..

Lets click on the mac hd 2 in the disk utility window.. And then click.

repair disk.

After that completes, restart your mac..

Can we see the drive listed now, if we go to the library / finder window Gerald?

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Clicked on HD 2. Do not get a Repair Disk option. HD 2 actually is set up to retain some files which don't work in Lion. It shows on desktop. I used to also see an icon for the Maxtor. Then it disappeared.

Ahh.. Ok.. So HD two was something you used to see before, and would be separate from the maxtor.. Ok..

Question, has the maxtor drive been moved, connected to any other macs.. Or any windows pc's recently?

Anything at all?

Also.. If you shut your mac, down, and then hold down the Shift key and start it.. ( so the mac starts in safe mode. )

Can we view the maxtor drive then?

And also, have we tried other USB ports on the mac, to see if its possibly just the one usb port that isnt working.. ( and one final thing, if your using a USB hub, please bypass the hub and connect to the mac directly )

let me know if any of this at all, helps..

Dustin S
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

-The drive has not been moved from original position

-not connected elsewhere

-tried other USB

-restarted with shift down, no Maxtor icon

none of this has fixed it

When you say no maxtor icon, do you mean on the desktop?

For good measure, if you go to your finder, and type in maxtor , does any programs or anything show up?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

re icon, yes on the desktop. It appeared in the past, but disappeared a year ago.

searched 'maxtor' in finder and 'seaarch this mac'. Nothing.

Are you saying that the last time this Maxtor drive worked, was a year ago?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, I gave up on it, but just decided to try the Maxtor help.

Thanks for letting me know that information.

Question Gerald, have you attempted to connect this drive to any other mac, or computer? ( since it stopped working )
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no, have left it where it was, connected to just one Mac, sort of hoped it might appear again as before. It never did

Do you have any other macs, or pc computers nearby that we could test the drive with?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, I have a macbook

Thanks Gerald.

Can we shut your mac book down.

Then, connect the Maxtor drive to the macbook.

Then, lets start the macbook, and see if it can see the maxtor..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did that, after shutting down. Maxtor does not appear-searching for it in Find, nothing.

Seems like te Maxtor is not transmitting. Maybe it died.

It could be possible that it died.

It could also be possible that the cord shorted out.. The cord is extremely cheap to replace, if you wanted to test that theory.. ( no guarantees it would fix it, but it is at least a 1 in 3 chance )

Heres the price of a replacement cord.

click here

If you have extremely vital data or pictures you dont want to lose.. We may want to consider a data recovery service, that can take the drive apart, and pull the info from it.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nothing that important. This Maxtor just wasn't reliable.

Thanks for trying.

Understood.. Though a 5$ cord may be worth trying, at the same time that 5$ could be spent towards a more reliable drive, such as this one.

click here

If you take notice of the sheer amount of 5 star reviews ( over 3 thousand ) This was a highly rated, low cost, and reliable drive.

If you have any further questions, let me know.

Dustin S.