Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I use Apples OSX 10.6.8 and recently the number pad on my

I use Apple's OSX 10.6.8 and recently the number pad on my keyboard stopped working, and when I move my mouse left or right the screen image jumps in those directions. How can I get my number pad working again and my screen to stop jumping when ever I move my mouse?
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What type of Mac is this ? iMac, Macbook etc

Did you mean your screen is zoomed in ?
Bob, first we can check whether the default settings of your Mac have changed. Go to System Preferences and open Universal Access. Click on Mouse tab, in there is the Mouse Keys option turned on ? If so, turn it off.

Then click Seeing tab and make sure Zoom is turned off in there. If that doesn't work, then reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac by following the steps below;

1. Turn off your Mac
  2. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys simultaneosly. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  3. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  4. Release the keys and the let the Mac boot up to desktop

Please let me know if those steps didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Great! The moving of the screen each time the mouse moves is cured, thank you . . . but the number key pad problem remains. Nothing happens when any keys on the numbers key pad are punched.

Did you checked whether the mouse keys option is turned off or not ?

Also did you reset the PRAM and NVRAM ?

And do you have another keyboard to try ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, the mouse keys option is now turned of. I also reset the PRAM and NVRAM, and I tried another keyboard, wireless, but the key pad on the other keyboard was likewise inoperative.

You mean the new keyboard is working on it ?
Does the new keyboard have the same problem ?

Do you have the Mac OS X installation discs ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, the new keyboard makes no difference. Yes, the new keyboard, a wireless large type version, also fails to get a response from the number key pad.

I do have the Mac Installation discs, I think.

We can reinstall the Mac OSX and see if it works or not. Put the Mac OS installation disc to your Mac. Restart and hold down the c key on your keyboard. This will boot into the installation screen. now follow the onscreen instructuons to reinstall. let me know how it goes.

PS This won't delete anything from your Mac

This seem like a software issue, so please reinstall and let me know the results please.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's working! I loaded the Installation Disc and was told I couln't install this disc . . . and gave me the option of reloading from my backup disc, bugt warned that this would erase all of my files. So I chickened out and cancelled the whole thing; restarted and the keypad is now fine.

Hope that it didn't disturb anything else.

Thank you, Ashik.

It was just a glitch in the software. You probably are using latest version than the disc, that is why you are unable reinstall. But I'm glad you got it back working. If you have any questions or would like any additional information please don't hesitate to ask. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me Positively. Bonuses are greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you . . . number pad is now working.