Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

I have an old Mac computer, from the early or mid-2000s, that

I have an old Mac computer, from the early or mid-2000s, that runs Appleworks as its word program.

I am told that the computer keeps some kind of a record of everything typed. As a consequence, about every seven or eight months, Appleworks begins to slow down. Pretty soon it cannot keep up to my typing. I will type a sentence and have to wait 8 or 9 seconds before the sentence fully appears on the screen.

I know there is a way to fix this, because I had a guy do it before, but he's not around anymore. How can I solve this myself?

Details: the Mac is one of those small, flat modems with the Apple image on top. The sides are silver and the top is white. It is barely wider than the disc it can accept. It is hooked up to a separate screen. It dates to at LEAST 2005, quite possibly a couple of years or more before that.
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today!

There are several possible issues that could be causing this problem.. If you work with me, we shoud be able to work through all the issues.

Lets try this as a first step.

To open Disk Utility, from the Applications folder, open Utilities, and then double-click the Disk Utility icon.

In the column on the left, click your startup disk ( Mac HD )

Click the First Aid tab, and then click Repair Disk Permissions. Disk Utility will reset any files and folders with incorrect settings.

Once it says permissions repair complete.. restart your mac, and t hen test appleworks..

Is it keeping up with what you type now?

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green submit button to rate the answer. We can still communicate after rating, as rating does not end the conversation.

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tried it and no dice, unfortunately.

before we move forward.

Can you verify that you were able to find the Disk utility, and that we were able to complete a permissions repair ( NOT just a repair disk )
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yeah I clicked "Repair Disk Permissions" under "First AID" of "Macintosh HD" under "Applications"

thanks for clarifying.

If that didnt fix the issue, then your recent items folder must be overflowing.

lets go here, and trash t he entire folder.

~/Documents/AppleWorks User Data/Starting Points/Recent Items

Once thats done, if we restart the mac, apple works should be working normally again.

If this doesnt work or you run into issues finding the folder, let me know!

Dustin S .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how do i get there?

We want to go into your library, where you view all your folders.

Then, go to your user folder, username folder

and then go to each of these folders

/Documents/AppleWorks User Data/Starting Points/Recent Items

folder, will be inside the folder before it..

If you have any issues locating the starting points, recent items folder inside the apple works user data folder.. let me know!

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry, not sure how to get into the library you mention, where do i start?

In your finder, or spotlight,

try typing in

AppleWorks User Data

do we see a result, thats a folder, that matches appleworks user data?

If so, open it.. and then go to the next folder.

Starting Points/Recent Items

And when you get to recent items, delete everything inside it..

( if you still cant get to the folder this way, let me know )

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay, i think that might have done it. thanks for the great service

Your welcome!

Thanks for patiently working through the issue with me. ( and also, just to be certain, can you restart the mac one time, to make sure that appleworks is still allowing you to type at normal speed after a restart )

if it is working well, you can save this correspondence for future reference, in case the issue returns.( and over time, it should )

That being said, if your happy with the solutions and service you received, please click one of t he rating icons below and click submit, as currently my work quality score shows a 0 right now, ( meaning no solution found )

Thank you,

Dustin S.