Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Cannot open Entourage. It was telling me to rebuild, which

Cannot open Entourage. It was telling me to rebuild, which I did but now cannot open it at all. The rainbow wheel keeps coming on and I have to force quit. I have tried holding down the 'shift' key but it still does not respond. Help please.

Cheers,

Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Holding down Shift key won't bring up rebuild option. To Rebuild Entourage Database,Quit all applications like Office applications, iPhoto, iTunes etc. Then hold down the Option key and launch the Entourage application. In a few seconds, you'll be greeted with the Entourage Database Utility. You can rebuild everything from there.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Ashik,

No good. I have continually tried to hold down "shift" key and clicking on Entourage. All that happens if rainbow wheel then 'entourage not responding" then I force quit.
Next step please.

Cheers,

When you hold down Option and open Entourage, doesn't it bring the Database Utility ? And What version of Mac OS X are you using ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No Database Utility comes up Ashik. Just the entourage icon, then whirling rainbow wheel, then 'entourage not responding' in force quite. When this all stared to go wrong yesterday... the 'database utility' did come up and i clicked rebuild. But it only partially rebuilt and then finally crashed...leaving it in the situation it is right now.

My system is OSx 10.6.8

Advice please

Cheers,

Hmm, it seems like the database is corrupted. Can you create a test user account on your Mac, login to that account and try Entourage in it ? That should tell us whether the problem is with the Entourage application or with your database.

Add a bookmark of this page, so we won't lose our connection
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I create a test user account please

Go to System Preferences > Accounts. In there, unlock the lock. Click the + icon in there and create a admin account. Then logout from Apple menu and login to the new account. Open Entourage. Let me know how it goes John
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK Ashik. I'm in new account and entourage is asking me what I want to import...what do I check please

Try Importing. If asked for your account details, then provice them. Let me know how it goes..
If you are able to open Entourage without any problems in the new account, then the problem is with database of your old account. We need to delete the old database from the old account, and create a new one. Unfortunately, this will reset entourage and you will lose all your mails. But if they are on the email server, they will be downloaded back when you setup new database.

Before that, we try to reset the preferences of Entourage. Logout from the current account and login to your original account. Then follow the steps below;

Close all office applications including Entourage. Then goto Macintosh HD > Users > home folder > Library > Preferences folder and trash these files :

com.microsoft.Entourage.plist
com.microsoft.Entourage.prefs.plist

If you can see a Microsoft folder in there, then trash that too. Don't empty the trash.

Now open Entourage. What happens ?

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i now have the database utilty open asking me to select which of the 4 maintenance activities to perform. Verify, compact, rebuild, set Which should I check please?

Rebuild. That is what we want to do..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok rebuilding in progress. I think this this takes a long time. I will return when it finishes. Is that OK Ashik?

Cheers, John

Yes John. Take your time and I will be here for the next 6 hours. When you're back, just post a reply and I will get back to you ASAP. Let it complete and don't interrupt the process. Good Luck John :)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you

You're most welcome :)
Hi John, Just checking..How is it going ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well Ashik...just finished and nearly all looks well. Your email has come thru on the problematical Entourage.

However, a couple of times warning messages have come up regarding corrupt data but that seems to have stopped now that I've deleted some old emails.

I'm on holiday tonight and back on the 19th. If the warnings return, may I contact you again?

Meanwhile thanks for your patience and valued advice.

Cheers,

Hi John, I'm glad you got it worked. I'd recommend to delete emails with large attachments from Inbox, Drafts or Outbox. Emails with large attachments are usually the main cause of these kind of problems.

Remember to add a bookmark of this page, so you can get back to me any time you want (without paying again)

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me Positively. So that I will get credit for helping. You can get back to me anytime even if you rate the answer.

Have a fantastic holiday.
Hi John,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks for using JustAnswer.

I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

Thanks and Have a great day,