Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My wireless printer does not work with my computer

My wireless printer works with my daughter's computer fine, but only works with mine sometimes? Could there be a problem with my computer. We both have MacBook Air.  I can print if I use the usb port.

Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
On your computer please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

version 10.7.5

1.6 GHz Intel Core i5

4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. I am required to post any procedure as an Answer even if it is just a diagnostic test, so please ignore the Rate to Finish box and Reply to Expert after you have tried that.

Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok...i tried that but printer is still not responding

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok I didn't expect that to fix it but we had to check. So Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions? If so go to System Preferences / Print & Scan select the printer and hit the minus sign to remove it. Then click on the plus sign and tell me if your printer is listed under the Default tab.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

"last printer used" is listed as default printer

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
So in the Add window after you click on the plus sign under the Default tab it actually says "Last Printer Used"? See my window:

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can not see your window...but yes it did say that . I was able to click on the list and our computer was there and I changed it to that. Printer still does not work.

Your window just has a little blue question mark in it.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Did you click on View Full Image?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, yes now I see your window and understand what you were asking me to do. Yes it did have our printer listed as the default printer.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK select the printer and hit the minus sign to remove it. Then click on the plus sign and tell me if your printer is listed under the Default tab.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes it is

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK select it and click on Add. Then go to the Apple Logo to Software Update
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok....software is updated. I did noticed when I added the printer it is listed as an scanner, not a printer.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Did it include an update for the printer/scanner?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK try printing something
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

now it says there is no printer selected and then asks me to add our printer but does not let me add it.... So I cannot even press the print button.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Go back to the Print & Scan is the printer still listed? If so make it the Default printer at the bottom.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, that helped but it still did not print. Says the printer is offline

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Can you print form the other computer? Let me know but either way unplug the printer from power for a few minutes then plug it back in and try to print
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it works from to other computers in the house. The other two are also MacBook Airs. I just tried my oldest daughters and it prints.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok let me know after you have tried that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried, it works

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok then that might have fixed the problem. If it happens again let me know.

If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide an OK Rating - or Above. If you are not satisfied, please don't Rate to Finish and Reply to Expert and let me know what I can do to change that. If we solved your problem, giving me high marks on the survey and / or bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I guess i misunderstood. it works on the other computers but not on mine

Are you still there. It isn't working.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK very sorry I thought you meant it worked on yours. Go to System Preferences/ Network / WiFi then click on Advanced select TCP/IP tab is it set to DHCP?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK let's try a more drastic measure.

Open Print and Scan preferences 

Hold down the Control key as you click in the list at the left, and choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.
Add the printer back and try to print
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It worked!!Smile Thanks!

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Great!!!
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.