Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

My wireless printer does not work with my computer

My wireless printer works with my daughter's computer fine, but only works with mine sometimes? Could there be a problem with my computer. We both have MacBook Air.  I can print if I use the usb port.

On your computer please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

version 10.7.5

1.6 GHz Intel Core i5

4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Ok. I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. I am required to post any procedure as an Answer even if it is just a diagnostic test, so please ignore the Rate to Finish box and Reply to Expert after you have tried that.

Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok...i tried that but printer is still not responding

Ok I didn't expect that to fix it but we had to check. So Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions? If so go to System Preferences / Print & Scan select the printer and hit the minus sign to remove it. Then click on the plus sign and tell me if your printer is listed under the Default tab.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

"last printer used" is listed as default printer

So in the Add window after you click on the plus sign under the Default tab it actually says "Last Printer Used"? See my window:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can not see your window...but yes it did say that . I was able to click on the list and our computer was there and I changed it to that. Printer still does not work.

Your window just has a little blue question mark in it.

Did you click on View Full Image?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, yes now I see your window and understand what you were asking me to do. Yes it did have our printer listed as the default printer.

OK select the printer and hit the minus sign to remove it. Then click on the plus sign and tell me if your printer is listed under the Default tab.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes it is

OK select it and click on Add. Then go to the Apple Logo to Software Update
Customer: replied 3 years ago. is updated. I did noticed when I added the printer it is listed as an scanner, not a printer.

Did it include an update for the printer/scanner?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK try printing something
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

now it says there is no printer selected and then asks me to add our printer but does not let me add it.... So I cannot even press the print button.

Go back to the Print & Scan is the printer still listed? If so make it the Default printer at the bottom.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, that helped but it still did not print. Says the printer is offline

Can you print form the other computer? Let me know but either way unplug the printer from power for a few minutes then plug it back in and try to print
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, it works from to other computers in the house. The other two are also MacBook Airs. I just tried my oldest daughters and it prints.

Ok let me know after you have tried that
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried, it works

Ok then that might have fixed the problem. If it happens again let me know.

If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide an OK Rating - or Above. If you are not satisfied, please don't Rate to Finish and Reply to Expert and let me know what I can do to change that. If we solved your problem, giving me high marks on the survey and / or bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I guess i misunderstood. it works on the other computers but not on mine

Are you still there. It isn't working.

OK very sorry I thought you meant it worked on yours. Go to System Preferences/ Network / WiFi then click on Advanced select TCP/IP tab is it set to DHCP?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK let's try a more drastic measure.

Open Print and Scan preferences 

Hold down the Control key as you click in the list at the left, and choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.
Add the printer back and try to print
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It worked!!Smile Thanks!