John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

synced my iphone5 to my IMAC computer to get the photos on

synced my iphone5 to my IMAC computer to get the photos on the iphone into IPHOTO. That happened but now they are missing from my iphone. And the phone is restored to old data; i.e. NOTES are not up to date. Can I undo the entire sync? Nightmare!
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 10 months ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

I'm sorry to hear of your data loss. If you have not synced again since the loss then we may be able to retrieve the data.

In iTunes, click "iTunes" in the menu bar and choose Preferences.

next, select the Devices tab.

Under Device Backups, do you see any listed?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes, my iphone and ipad are listed w/dates from 2012.

Thanks, Judy.

Okay, so there is nothing recent there?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No

How did you normally sync personal data, was it with iTunes or did you by chance have iCloud enabled on the iPhone for back ups?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I do have icloud enabled on the iphone5 and ipad.

I am scared to sync the ipad to the imac for its photos (all the iphone5 missing photos are in the ipad 'photo stream).

The iphone5 'photo stream' however is not now picking up those photos from the ipad. Why? All are wifi connected.

So frustrating! I hate syncing w/itunes. Something BAD always happens.

Yes, I can sympathize with you in regard to iTunes.

Obviously, something has gone amiss here because since iCloud was enabled on the iPhone it should NOT have restored older data to the phone.

On your iPhone;

tap Settings
tap iCloud
tap Storage & Backup
tap Manage Storage

Under Backups it should list your iPhone if it were being backed up to iCloud. Do you see anything listed there?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes.

Latest Backup Incomplete

Backup Size 761 MB

At the bottom it says 3.7GB available of 5.0 GB on iCloud

Okay, it's unfortunate that it's incomplete BUT you may still be able to recover from it, provided it's not an incomplete back up that it's creating from the faulty iTunes Restore data.

You can try to restore from iCloud by restoring the device. It's important to note that this will erase the device so if there is anything on there which you currently wish to keep, let me know. Assuming newer backup data is still in iCloud, you should be able to do the following to return to that backup:

Disconnect the iPhone from the computer if it's still connected.

tap Settings
tap General
tap Reset
then tap “Erase all content and settings”

When the iPhone restarts, it will display the Setup Assistant. In the Setup Assistant, sign in to iCloud, tap “Restore from a Backup,” then choose from a list of your backups in iCloud.

Your device is restored as follows: Your settings and accounts are restored from the iCloud backup you chose. Your device restarts and begins downloading your purchased music, movies, TV shows, apps, books, Camera Roll, and other content. If your device can’t download the version of an app that was backed up, it downloads the latest version.

You may be asked to enter passwords for iTunes, App Store, and iBookstore accounts to restore purchased items.

Progress bars appear below Home screen icons for apps being downloaded. To make an app a priority for downloading, tap its icon.

To check if the information on your device is fully restored, go to Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I'll do the reset thing w/fingers crossed and let you know. Yikes!

Okay I'll be here!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

They don't make it easy. My Apple ID has been disabled so I have to go to iforgot.apple.com to reset it. Once I get that sorted . . .

Should I choose the icloud backup from yesterday? Is it done that often?

The iCloud backup is done daily if it's connected to wi-fi. iCloud can also store up to three back ups so you may get a choice for more than one to pick from.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Well this is a total cluster. They are asking me for my icloud Apple ID. I put in. They say it is incorrect. So I go to the iforgot website. Answer the security question with my birthdate and they say that is wrong as well! Ridiculous. Stopped in my tracks with no phone! I also asked them to send me an email. That was 15 minutes ago. What to do?

Hmmm.

You should be able to reset your password XXXXX the site: http://iforgot.apple.com/ and it sounds as though this is the one you are using.

If you can't pull up your Apple ID using the info above BUT you currently have purchased music in iTunes on your computer then you may be able to see the ID; To view this information, simply select any purchased song in iTunes and press Command-I or choose "Get Info" from the File menu. Then in the Summary tab of the window that appears (this should be the default tab), you should see the name / Apple ID listed.

Once you have the Apple ID and the password, test out that it is working properly by signing into the Apple ID management site:
https://appleid.apple.com/ (Click "Manage Your Apple ID")

If you have successfully reset your password XXXXX still can not log in, you may have another issue. In this case, you will have to contact Apple via their Express Lane customer service feature to ask them to investigate the reason for your disabled account:

https://expresslane.apple.com/

Choose the correct category and issue as prompted by the service above and you will eventually reach a web form where Apple promises to respond within 24 hours. If you need a suggestion for which support path to follow, try:
iTunes > iTunes Store > Account Management > Managing or editing an Apple ID > Email

As an alternative, if you do not wish to handle it online, you can try calling this number: 1-800-676-2775. Ask if they can verify you as the owner of the account for the purposes of resetting the password.

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
Howdy!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. If you need further assistance on this issue, please let me know.

Also, please feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. I can assist with a myriad number of issues, including speed or performance improvements, hardware or software installation and updates, new device/software recommendations and other frustrations you may experience in the future.

I can be reached directly via the following page:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

Thanks,