John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

This morning my Apple Mac OS X booted and I used it to check

This morning my Apple Mac OS X booted and I used it to check my email accounts, visited two Amazon sites and all seemed well. About an hour later I returned and visited a site on the web from a known person but when I tried to load a tutorial ther it would not load. Meantime I tried to open the Finder window to access a document and the Finder window would not open. So I thought OK I will try rebooting. But when I rebooted a got a blank screen with a file folder with a ? in the middle. I have tried again even unplugging the computer and leaving it for a bit but all I can get is this file folder with a ? mark. Any suggestions as to what should be next? I am not very technical sound.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Do you happen to remember which version of OS X is installed on your iMac?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Snow Leopard

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Pat.

Do you have your original OS X Snow Leopard disc handy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Great,

try the following and if you run into issues or questions along the way, please let me know.

Insert the OS X install CD.

Restart the computer and as soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the "C" key to boot from the disc. You can release the "C" when you see the Apple logo and progress indicator.

Choose your language and click to continue.

When you are sitting at the Introductory Installer screen (DO NOT INSTALL), go up to "Utilities" in the menubar and choose Disk Utility.

In the left hand sidebar, choose your Mac's hard drive (usually "Macintosh HD").

On the right hand side of the page, click "Repair Disk"

If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK.

Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions"

Once the process has completed, restart your Mac. Hopefully, if this is jsut a software issue, it will boot back tothe desktop normally.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am stuck at "In the left hand sidebar, choose your Mac's hard drive (usually "Macintosh HD")."

In the left hand side bar the choices are:

HL-DT-STDVDRWGA11N

or MAC OS X Install DVD

Nether will allow Repair Disk, verify disk, Repair Disk Permissions

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay,

Please try the following and then afterward boot off the CD and see if the Macintosh HD or any other new choice is listed in the sidebar;

Restart the Mac

As soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the following keys;

COMMAND, OPTION, P, R

Hold them until you hear the chime a second time..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This brings me back to the same place. This computer has had its hard drive partioned is that the problem?

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, how long ago was work done on the hard drive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There has been no work done on the hard drive since it was purchased in ? I am guessing maybe 5 years ago. We partioned the drive shortly after to run some PC programs but that part is seldom used as the only thing needed now is an accounting program. Originally it was done as I am a Realtor and the boards MLS system would not work on Macs. that has changed this year so the other drive is only opened once or twice a year and has not been opened since last April.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thanks for the details. Having had Windows installed to run Windows PC programs would not be an issue.

However, I do believe the age is a contributing factor; What you are experiencing, sadly, is not a software issue but rather a hardware problem.

Your iMac has developed a defect in the internal hard drive itself which is why you do not see it appear in the sidebar of Disk Utility.

Unless you are comfortable opening your iMac then this would need service. When troubleshooting hardware issues, sometimes the final diagnosis is that it is a physical defect in nature and the ‘answer’ such as in this case may be a recommendation to seek out repair from an authorized service center if the defect in question is not considered “user repairable”. This may be a frustrating answer and I do sympathize but please don't shoot the messenger. Wink

Additionally, because this is a hardware problem I'm afraid that the safety of your data is not guaranteed if you do not currently have a back up. However, once the service center extracts the hard drive they should be able to determine if personal data cane be recovered. Due to the instability of these types of issues, I would recommend turning the iMac off and not attempting any other procedures in order to have the best chances.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for trying.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
You are quite welcome, Pat. Sadly this was a clear answer though I realize not one you might wish to hear.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Howdy!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. If you need further assistance on this issue, please let me know.

Also, please feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. I can assist with a myriad number of issues, including speed or performance improvements, hardware or software installation and updates, new device/software recommendations and other frustrations you may experience in the future.

I can be reached directly via the following page:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

Thanks,