Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
51110040

My daughter passed away about 5 weeks ago.

Customer Question

My daughter passed away about 5 weeks ago. I have taken care of her since her husband abandoned her about 4 monthe ago. Her mother and I have received all of her property which included a realitive new i-pad. I do not know her password XXXXX I don't know how to get into her i-pad without it. Her mother is going to use it now. My daughter's name was Kimberle XXXXXX, her husband's name isXXXXX (she did not take his last name when they were married about 6 years ago). My name isXXXXX and we want to put the i-pad in her mother's name which is Marcia XXXXXX. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thank You so much!!!! Wayne

Category: Mac
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 1 year ago.

Kamil Anwar :

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer. My Name isXXXXX and i will assist you with your question today.

Kamil Anwar :

I am very sorry to hear about your daughter.

Kamil Anwar :

You can reset the iPad in Recovery Mode.

Customer :

thank you

Kamil Anwar :

Do you currently have iTunes installed on your system?

Customer :

i honestly don't know

Kamil Anwar :

Do you have the USB Cable that came with the iPad?

Customer :

yes, I will need to get it

Kamil Anwar :

Basically, you will first need to download iTunes on your PC or Computer.

Customer :

okay

Kamil Anwar :

You can download iTunes by visiting the Apple Website or by Clicking Here

Kamil Anwar :

Once you have installed the iTunes.

Kamil Anwar :

You then need to turn off the iPad and connect it to the computer using the USB Cable.

Kamil Anwar :

To Power it Off - Hold down the Power button and the Home Button at the same time until the iPad turns off.

Kamil Anwar :

You then need to launch the recovery mode.

Kamil Anwar :

Press and hold the Home button and connect the iPad to the other end of the USB cable that is attached to your computer. Connecting the device will cause it to turn on.

• Continue holding the Home button until a window pops up in iTunes. A message will appear in iTunes telling you that an iPad in Recovery Mode has been detected.

Kamil Anwar :

Restore the device in iTunes. Click OK for in the window that appears. Select the Summary tab in iTunes, then click the Restore button.

• This will wipe ALL of your data and settings from your phone, resetting it to factory defaults.

Kamil Anwar :

The process is very easy and you reset the iPad after which you can setup a new passcode or use it without the passcode.

Customer :

okay, i did, i think. it says thanks for downloading itunes

Kamil Anwar :

Great. After download it you need to click on the downloaded file to complete the setup as well.

Customer :

done

Kamil Anwar :

Have you done the setup?

Customer :

okay, done

Kamil Anwar :

I am not sure what you mean by done - Are you done downloading or are you done with the setup?

Kamil Anwar :

Are you still there?

Customer :

yes

Kamil Anwar :

Which step are we on?

Customer :

i think i have downloaded on the computer

Customer :

and thank you for your patience

Kamil Anwar :

If it's downloaded, then click on the setup file so it can finish the installation.

Kamil Anwar :

Once the installation is finished, you should see iTunes on your desktop on which you can double click to launch.

Customer :

okay, please hold on

Kamil Anwar :

No worries.

Customer :

it say's that i need to restart the computer but it also says that itunes is currently running

Customer :

if i restart the computer, how do i get back to you (sorry)

Kamil Anwar :

We can check first if it's already running.

Kamil Anwar :

Which operating system are you currently using?

Customer :

windows premium home

Customer :

dell laptop

Kamil Anwar :

Can you see the iTunes icon at the bottom of your desktop?

Kamil Anwar :

The icon looks like this

Customer :

yes,

Kamil Anwar :

If you click on it the iTunes shall open

Customer :

i have but it is not the small icon by itself, it is the one that shows the program is minimized

Kamil Anwar :

Can you open the program?

Customer :

yes, i believe it is open now

Kamil Anwar :

Ok Great.

Kamil Anwar :

Plug the iPad into this computer with a USB cable and open iTunes. Once iTunes loads and recognizes the iPad, select iPad in the top right.

Customer :

ok, hold on

Kamil Anwar :

No worries

Customer :

it says it is locked with a passcode and to enter the passcode to connect to itunes which is the problem i have. my daughter passed away and i don't know the passcode

Kamil Anwar :

You need to reset it.

Kamil Anwar :

Please follow my instructions carefully.

Customer :

ok

Kamil Anwar :

Hold down the Power button and the Home Button at the same time until the iPad turns off.

Customer :

done

Customer :

now it is rebuting

Customer :

maybe not

Kamil Anwar :

What is it showing on the iPad screen?

Kamil Anwar :

Is the other end of the cable plugged in to the computer?

Customer :

it is blank

Customer :

yes

Kamil Anwar :

Take the end plugged into the computer out for a while.

Customer :

okay, done

Kamil Anwar :

Please take the cable plugged into the iPad out as well and do not connect the cable to the iPad only connect the cable with the computer.

Customer :

okay, i have done that

Kamil Anwar :

So now we have one end of cable plugged into computer and nothing is plugged into iPad correct?

Customer :

correct

Kamil Anwar :

Kamil Anwar :

Click OK for in the window that appears. Select the Summary tab in iTunes, then click the Restore button.

Kamil Anwar :

Customer :

it's not a phone, it is an ipad

Customer :

?

Kamil Anwar :

Sorry, i meant iPad.

Customer :

i thought you did, i need to go through this process again because it didn't do what it was suppose to and may have been my fault, please hold on while i redo this

Kamil Anwar :

No problem

Customer :

thanks

Customer :

i need to redo this again because the cable i grabbed may be the one the the ipod. sorry, please hold on

Kamil Anwar :

If it's successfully connected, you should see iPad button on the top right which if you click you will get options to restore.

Kamil Anwar :

Have a look at this Click Here

Kamil Anwar :

I will need to step out for 20 minutes in an emergency - I will keep the Window open and will be back quickly.

Customer :

okay

Kamil Anwar :

I am back

Kamil Anwar :

What is the progress?

Customer :

it is not showing the "A message will appear in iTunes telling you that an iPad in Recovery Mode has been detected."

Kamil Anwar :

Is the wire connected properly to the computer and the itunes?

Customer :

i think, it appears to be

Kamil Anwar :

Can you see the iPad button on the top right in iTunes ?

Customer :

no

Kamil Anwar :

Is the iPad On or OFF ?

Customer :

on

Kamil Anwar :

Are the cables connected properly?

Customer :

yes

Kamil Anwar :

Is the iPad charging?

Customer :

no, it is fully charged

Customer :

let me try this one more time, i made a switch in cable locations, maybe that will help

Kamil Anwar :

No worries.

Customer :

in the place where"A message will appear in iTunes telling you that an iPad in Recovery Mode has been detected." it tells me that" iTunes could not connect to the ipad because it is locked with a pass code. you must enter the passcode in oder for it to be used with itunes

Kamil Anwar :

That's because the instructions have not been followed correctly.

Kamil Anwar :

1. Turn off iPad

2. Connect USB cable to computer; leave the other end alone

3. Press and hold the Home button down and connect the docking end of cable to iPad

4. Continue holding the Home button until you see the "Connect To iTune" screen

5. Release the Home button

6. Open iTune

7. You should see "iTunes has detected an iPad in recovery mode"

8. Use iTune to restore iPad

Customer :

i thought i followed them but apparently i didn't and for that i am very sorry. of coarse if my daughter were here, i could just ask her, but that's not possible

Kamil Anwar :

I can understand that's not a problem. We can try again.

Kamil Anwar :

Here are the instructions:

Kamil Anwar :

1. Turn off iPad

5. Release the Home button

6. Open iTune

8. Use iTune to restore iPad

Kamil Anwar :

Any progress?

Customer :

not yet, i am trying but i keep getting the message that i need a passcode

Kamil Anwar :

Do you know which one is the home button?

Customer :

it is the little square button at the bottom of the ipad

Kamil Anwar :

Yes

Kamil Anwar :

Ok take the cable off the iPad, turn it off and hold the home button and while holding the home button connect it again to the PC.

Kamil Anwar :

Continue holding it until it shows the recovery option

Kamil Anwar :

You may need to repeat the process 2 to 3 times.

Customer :

okay, just to let you know, i am not dumb, i do have some experience with computers and was a postmaster and when i retired from that, i bought my own business. i know a little, maybe not much but some, just to let you know

Kamil Anwar :

I understand but because this is a text-only conversation i have to ensure that we are doing it right.

Kamil Anwar :

For 10 seconds, hold both the Home and Power buttons

While still holding the home button down, release the power button only! Continue to hold the home button down for an additional 10 seconds.

Kamil Anwar :

See if this helps.

Customer :

okay

Kamil Anwar :

Also when you see the message that it requires a pass code, just try to ignore and close this message.

Customer :

okay, i will try it again

Kamil Anwar :

I am sorry that it is taking too long :|

Customer :

i'm very sorry too

Kamil Anwar :

You dont need to be sorry - It just takes some time to resolve issues like this. I understand that you may be tired.

Kamil Anwar :

We have to go through the procedure again and this time if it shows the message, try to ignore it and close the message.

Kamil Anwar :

See if then you get to the recovery mode.

Customer :

okay

Customer :

when i just close that message, it leaves me at the itunes store, is that correct?

Kamil Anwar :

Yes

Kamil Anwar :

See if it shows iTunes in the top-right?

Customer :

okay, at the store, what am i clicking and do i need to sign in?

Kamil Anwar :

Can you see the iPad button at the top right on iTunes?

Customer :

do i need to sign in?

Customer :

no, at this point it won't allow me to click on any button

Kamil Anwar :

Yes sign in then

Kamil Anwar :

Do you have an ID Created?

Customer :

yes

Kamil Anwar :

Please sign in and then see if you can see the iPad button

Kamil Anwar :

Customer :

ihave signed iton itunes but that icon does not show

Customer :

into

Kamil Anwar :

See if it appears on the left menu on the iTunes?

Customer :

okay, i am creating a new account just to make sure i have everything right

Kamil Anwar :

We can try that but normally that is not needed.

Customer :

are you there????

Kamil Anwar :

Yes

Kamil Anwar :

Any progress?

Customer :

i have tried everything you have said. When I enter what you have asked, i am not getting what you say i should get. where do i go from here?

Kamil Anwar :

Strange. I'm thinking.

Customer :

Is there anyone there that may be able to help??

Kamil Anwar :

Let me open this question to other experts to see if some one has a different approach to resolve this.

Customer :

thank you

Kamil Anwar :

I will be out of this question so you do not need give my answer a rating and if nothing helps, a refund can be requested.

Kamil Anwar :

I am sorry about this.

Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 1 year ago.
Hello Wayne,

I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

So what I understand from your previous chat is you have downloaded itunes into your computer, correct?

Have you installed it? If you have installed itunes, you will see an itunes icon on your desktop.

Have you got that there? If we have, then I will explain you how to restore your ipad. If not, we will start from where you are stuck.

Let me know.

Thank You
Vinod

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Vinod, yes i have reached that point

Thank you.

Let's start the restore process.

Let's double click on the itunes icon. This will open the itunes application.

Now, connect the ipad to the computer. Now, on the ipad, press and hold the power button (at the top right corner) and the home button (the round button at the bottom of the screen) together until you see an apple logo. The very moment you see the apple, let go off the power button, but keep on holding the home button for another 10-15 sec.

your computer should now give a message that it has detected an ipad in recovery mode and needs to be restored. Restore the ipad now and finally, when the restore is complete, select the option "set up as a new ipad".

Let me know if you find any difficulty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried this just now. On the ipad it shows the iTunes Logo and a USB cable plug with an arrow from the USB cable end to the iTunes Logo. On my computer, it said it requires a passcode, which was from my original problem. I clicked okay and now it says an unknown error occured (OxE8000065)

Please give me 5 minutes. Let me check for that error
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay

It may be because you have not held down the home button long enough. You should be getting a message that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode and needs a restore

Lets try it again

Let me know if you get a message in the computer that an iPad is detected in recovery mode.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay, i will try it again, one moment, thank you!!!

You are welcome..:)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

now it is saying "the iPhone software update server could not be contacted" ?

Now we need to do this.

Are you using Windows xp/vista/7 or a mac computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i'm using Windows 7 Home Premium

Thank you.

Let's go to start > control panel > Internet Options (if you don't see internet options, click on "category" drop down at the top right and select "small icons". Now you will see the Internet options.).

Once it opens in a new pop up, click on the "Connections" tab and then click on "LAN settings" button.

Select the "automatically detect settings" checkbox. If that is already checked, deselect it and then check it again. Now click on the OK button.

Now, try the recovery mode step again on the ipad and let's see whether you are able to restore the ipad.

let me know if you find any difficulty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have done everything you just ask and i still get the message "the iPhone software update server could not be contacted"

Do you have any antivirus installed in the computer? If you have, let's disable it for sometime.

Then close the itunes and open it again and then try to restore the ipad through the recovery mode process.

let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay, give me a moment

sure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Vinod, it is 48 minutes after midnight here in Kansas and I have been at this for over 4 hours now. Is there any way we can pick this up again tomorrw? With my daughter's death and all I have had to do since then, I am getting tired pretty easy. I like the course of action you are taking and feel we WILL find the solution. It is just I am getting extremely tired right now. How would I go about contacting you tomorrow?

Thanks!!!

No worries, you can reply to me anytime. However, I live in India, so may well be sleeping during your day time..:)

It is 10:20 AM here now, and I will be available until 12:00 midnight and will be available from 7 AM Indian time.

Your ipad is already in recovery mode as it is showing the USB cable. We just need the computer to recognize it in the way we want it to. I believe the antivirus may be causing the current issue.

You can also check this document if I am not available

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1814
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you so much Vinod. You have a wonderful day and I will be back in touch with you in a few hours.

Again, Thanks!!!!!

you too!