Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Whit screen on Imac

Customer Question

Whit screen on Imac
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

When did this problem started ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have a white screen on my imac, when i turn it on and than it goes blank

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
When did this problem started ? Have you did any software updates prior to this problem ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yesterday it append. ive not done any update

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Which type of Mac is this ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

24" imac dual core Pentium 4gb ram

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
First we can reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac and see if that works or not. Turn off your Mac by holding down the Power button for 15 seconds. Then follow the steps below;

1. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys simultaneosly. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  2. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  3. Release the keys and the let the Mac boot up to desktop

If that didn't work, then reset the System Management Controller of your Mac. Follow the steps below;

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug all cables including the Power cable
  3. Press and hold down Power button for 10 seconds.
  4. Plug in the Power back and turn on your Mac. This will reset the SMC

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi ive did all that earlier on and it didn't work

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Could you please tell me what have you tried so far ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

all i did was google and went with few options. what you ask me to do ive did that

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Shift key on your Keyboard. Keep it held down for atleast 3 minutes or until it boot into Safe. Let me know how it goes..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Just did that it starts to give me a loading time bar under the apple logo and than just gos into a blank screen after abit

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
That means your Mac can't load the system files from the hard drive. This usually happens if the system files are ocrrupted or if the hard drive is failing. Lets find out the problem. Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. This will boot into Single User Mode screen (black screen with white letters). Then type the following commands...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Command (Apple) key and the S keys option dont work

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Can you take out the RAMs from your Mac, clean them and put them back ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok ill do that now

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Let me know the results please..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi just did that do i turn that mac on?

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Yes, turn it on.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

same problem white load screen comes up than goes to blank screen

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Do you have the Mac OS X installation discs came with your Mac ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
We can try to boot into it. Put the disc 1 to your Mac, restart your Mac and immediately hold down C key on your Keyboard. Keep it held down until it boot into the disc. Does it boot into the disc ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

nothing happens when i do that i can tell the disk is being read but the screen stays white with the apple logo on it

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
I'm afraid it is a hardware related. It seems like the HD of your hard drive is failing. We've tried all troubleshooting steps so far inlcuding Single User Mode, Safe Mode and booting into the disc. Can you run the Hardware Test and see what it returns ? See here : http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

Hardware Test might not recognize hard drive issue, but it will recognize problems with other components like RAM, Processor etc
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ive managed to get into the boot mode

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
What boot mode ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. This will boot into Single User Mode screen

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Can you type the Commands I sent you in there ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just did that

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Did you received any errors ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it says:

the volume macintosh HD appears to be ok

****** file system was modified******

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Type reboot and hit returns. What happens ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

dose the same thing

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Can you run the hardware test ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just did that and its come up with: no trouble found

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
What version of Mac OS X are you using on it ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

snow leopard 10.6.8

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Put the Mac OS X Snow Leopard disc 1 to your Mac. Turn it off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Option key on your keyboard. This should boot into startup disk selection screen. Select Mac OS X install disc in there and press return. What happens ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

gives m an option to boot from hard disk or boot disk, i go with disk after a while it frezzes

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Can you turn off your Mac for 1 hour and also unplug the power cable. This will cool your Mac down and erase the cache memory as well. Then after 1 hour, try to boot into the disc. If you can boot into the disc, then reinstall your Mac OS X by following the onscreen instructions. That is the only option I could think of now as we've tried all possible troubleshooting steps so far.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok ill try that

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
If that is not working, then you will have to take your Mac to the Apple Store to get it fixed. This is something that need to be looked at.

If you are not satisfied with my service, please don't rate me Bad in here or in the survey email you get from JustAnswer. Instead you can [email protected] for refund.

Best Regards,