Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

"iTunes could not connect to the iPad "SUSAN BEST"S"iPad because

"iTunes could not connect to the iPad "SUSAN BEST"S"iPad because an invalid response was received from the device." How do I reconnect? I have a rotor on my main iMac. I have iCloud and another. Help...can't sinc. Settings Problem?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Michelle :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you, I will need additional information. What version of itunes on your Mac are you running? To find this out, click on iTunes in the top menu bar and choose about iTunes

Michelle :

It sounds like itunes is having issues establishing a connection with your iPad. if your iTunes is up to date, try disconnecting your ipad, quit itunes and then re-connect your iPad using a different USB port

Michelle :

If that does not work, let me know and we can continue with the next troubleshooting steps

Customer:

iTunes 11.5.1. Changing ports does not answer.

Michelle :

Thank you for the additional information. So we can isolate your issue further, do you have an iphone or iPod that you can connect to itunes?

Customer:

Yes. Connected my iPhone and it sinced well

Michelle :

Ok so it looks like the issue may be with your iPad. Lets try a reset. Press and hold both the sleep and home button at the same time for 30 sec or until the apple logo appears. The sleep button is located at the upper right corner and the home button is the round button on the bottom front bezel of your iPad

Michelle :

When your iPad boots back up again. Connect it to your computer

Customer:

I reset the iPad because I do not have the sleep button or home button visable on my iPad

Michelle :

It is there. Here is the illustration

Full Size Image

Michelle :

The arrow in the upper right corner is the sleep button and the arrow at the bottom is the home button. Press and hold both buttons for 30 secs or until the apple logo appears

Michelle :

Were you able to successfully reset your iPad?

Customer:

It has sinced, but, I am not sure that all the programs are up to datebeaumaris because I reset the iPad I ned to find a way into my WiFi through the rotor. It is locked.

Michelle :

To connect to your wireless network, on your iPad... Click on Settings and then choose wifi. You will see your wireless network listed. Do you know the password? If so, go ahead and enter it

Customer:

Don't know it.

Michelle :

I assume your Mac is connected to your wireless network. So lets see if we can retrieve your password XXXXX Keychain Access. On your Mac, Click on the Magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in Keychain Access

Michelle :

Let me know when you have Keychain Access open

Customer:

Open

Michelle :

In the left column, click on System

Customer:

Done

Michelle :

Do you see your wireless network name listed?

Michelle :

In the Kind Column, you will see Airport network next to it

Michelle :

Were you able to find your network name?

Customer:

Done!

Michelle :

If you double click on your network name, a box will pop up. At the bottom you will see a show password XXXXX Click on it and enter the password XXXXX your computer. If you do not have a password XXXXX for your computer, just hit enter

Michelle :

The wireless password XXXXX now appear

Michelle :

Then enter that password XXXXX your iPad

Customer:

Done!

Michelle :

Great. Now that your iPad is connected to the internet. Connect your iPad to your computer

Customer:

My network name is XXXXX XXXXX

Michelle :

Go in the settings and then go back into the network list. Allow it some time to refresh

Customer:

nothing

Michelle :

Hmm ok. Lets reset your network settings on your iPad then. In settings, click on general, then choose reset all the way at the bottom . Click on reset Network settings

Customer:

done

Michelle :

Now when it boots, go back into your wifi settings and looks for your network list. Also make sure you are looking for the same network list on your computer. Click on the wifi icon in the top menu bar of your mac and look for the network that is checked

Full Size Image

Michelle :

Is your wireless network appearing on your iPad now?

Customer:

yes

Michelle :

Did it accept the password?

Customer:

it says not connected. There is no password

Michelle :

When you tap on your network name, does a password XXXXX appear? Tap on your network name

Customer:

yes

Michelle :

Ok so now enter the password XXXXX you retrieved from keychain access into the box

Michelle :

A check mark should then appear next to your network name

Customer:

none retrieved. would it be under another name

Michelle :

Click on the wifi icon on your mac. What is the network name that has a check next to it

Customer:

Where is it

Michelle :

Here is the illustration

Full Size Image

Michelle :

Full Size Image

Michelle :

Full Size Image

Michelle :

Do you see a check mark next to a network name?

Michelle :

Have you located your network name on your mac yet??

Michelle :

Are you still there Susan?

Customer:

Got lost in the buttons. Now WPA2 password XXXXX XXXXX

Michelle :

Ok so enter your password. Remember when I directed you to go into Keychain Access to retrieve the password. Enter that password

Customer:

Was no password XXXXX that name in that keychain

Michelle :

That means you missed a step. Please follow my instructions step by step. Open Keychain access again. Let me know when it is open

Customer:

Yes, it is open to all items

Michelle :

Locate the your wireless network and double click on it

Michelle :

It will be easier to find if you click on Systems in the left column

Customer:

it is not listed under that name

Michelle :

Have you clicked on the wireless icon on your Mac yet? Did you observe the wireless name with a check mark next to it?

Customer:

Yes the list is there, WiFi is connected

Michelle :

Is your iPad connected or your Mac?

Customer:

yes

Michelle :

Yes to iPad?

Customer:

Ipad to Imac

Michelle :

Ok but you still need to enter your wireless network password. Have you located your network name in keychain access?

Customer:

no

Michelle :

Lets go Step by step. Click on the wifi icon on your Mac.. It is right next to the date and time

Customer:

ok

Michelle :

What is the name of the next work with a Check Mark next to it

Michelle :

network*

Customer:

it says on

Michelle :

Try this instead. Click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and then choose system preferences

Customer:

ok

Michelle :

Click on Network

Michelle :

It is under Internet& Wireless

Customer:

ok

Michelle :

In the left column, his wireless green or ethernet?

Customer:

Ethernet is connectedok

Michelle :

Does it give you a network name in the right column?

Customer:

Using dhcp in Configure, Status connected

Michelle :

Ok you may not even have wireless set up. Disconnect your iPad and connect it to itunes.. If you still get the error message, we may need to restore your iPad

Customer:

ok

Michelle :

Close itunes first and then connect your ipad

Customer:

ok

Michelle :

What is displaying in iTunes?

Customer:

on Ipad, cannot connect to iTunes and then asks to select network

Michelle :

Are you sure you do not have a wireless network. Is you iphone connected to a network?

Michelle :

On your iphone, go into general and choose wifi

Customer:

yes

Michelle :

What network has a Check mark next to it

Customer:

work

Michelle :

Do you see Work as an available network on your iPad?

Customer:

yes. Boy, are you ever patient

Michelle :

Ha ha. Its ok

Michelle :

Now go ahead and enter the password XXXXX Work

Customer:

We do not have the password

Customer:

It is locked

Michelle :

Hmm. In Keychain access, do you see Work listed? If not, in the upper right corner within keychain access is a search box. Type in Work

Customer:

Typed in

Michelle :

When you Typed in Work, did it appear?

Customer:

AffirmTrust networking and a bunch of certificates

Michelle :

Ok try typing in airport

Customer:

ok, nothing

Michelle :

What about ethernet

Customer:

Same,

Michelle :

Do you have any idea what the password XXXXX Work may be? Try guessing

Customer:

Work is trying to connect

Michelle :

Fingers crossed*

Michelle :

Do you know where the Work wireless network is coming from?

Customer:

no

Michelle :

Is it still trying to connect

Customer:

yes

Customer:

Woud I have to create a nw network?

Michelle :

No you would not be able to. Just to confirm, on your iPhone, is there a check mark next to Work?

Customer:

Yes

Michelle :

Is there anyone in your household that would know the password XXXXX Work

Customer:

I am the only person. Perhaps my settings in Ipad are incorrect

Michelle :

The settings are fine. You will need to connect to a wireless network first. When you first set up your iPad, do you remember what network you used?

Customer:

Aha! Eurika! Duh! It is working on 3rd password XXXXX I will try to sinc now. THANK you so much.

Michelle :

Yay! Please write the password XXXXX so you always have it :0

Customer:

I now know how to find stuff in keychain Too. THank you again for your Patience. Now we can both go and kick a tree

Michelle :

Ha ha.. It was a pleasure working with you Susan. Enjoy your iPad and the rest of your day :)

Michelle :

I hope I’ve provided the resolution you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please feel free to provide a rating to end our chat

Customer:

Ok

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.