Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment

Beginning of last wek I completed and submitted my first aperture

Beginning of last wek I completed and submitted my first aperture photo book, I previewed, discovered errors that were not visable while creating, went back fixed these, all happy after checking in preview several times. After submitting my order, I realised I missed a line in delivery address, so rang support got a great person who helped with editing this and that person was able to view my book page by page also and also confirmed that there were no issues with layout, text etc, all looked good.

I then recieved an email three days later:

Dear Apple customer,

It appears that when your order was submitted, some of the text was missing or cut off. As a result, Apple is unable to process your order and you will not be charged.

We recommend updating your software, previewing your print product in iPhoto or Aperture, and placing the order again.

For instructions on how to update your software, refer to: XXXXX - Updating your software
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1338

For instructions on how to preview your order, refer to the article below.

How to preview an order in iPhoto or Aperture
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1040

We appreciate your business and apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely, XXXXX Support
http://www.apple.com/support/photoservices/ww/

My software is/was up to date & I most definitely, previewed many times as well as an apple support person. I'm unable to contact support as it is the weekend,so i'm just trying to find as many answers as I can before monday as there is an important time line now with this gift. Could anyone give me some heads up as what may have happened. As I'm considering having to start another asap not using an apple product. But what I did put together was a lot of hours over many weeks.

Thank you & a little desperate for time,

Leanne from New Zealand
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today!

Are you using the Graphistudio plugin for aperture, as seen here?

http://www.graphistudio.com/aperture/

To make a graphistudio book, as seen here?

http://www.graphistudio.com/en_US/products

Or, are you using a Queensberry , Leather Craftsman, or Couture book aperture plugin to make these books?

If your desperate for time.. I would strongly recommend working with one of the bookmakers above, such as the Graphistudio plugin for aperture..

All the plugins are free, they do of course, charge you for the photo albums.. Though the products, and albums they offer, speak for themselves..

That being said, what may have happened is that you simply need to re submit the book to apple, through aperture.

You shoudl be able to submit the same book.. But I would strongly consider the graphistudio plugin, and their service and books.. Or one of the other major contenders I mentioned.. ( especially if your running on a deadline )

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green submit button to rate the answer. We can still communicate after rating, as rating does not end the conversation.

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you so far, no I'm not using any of the first mentioned plug ins as they are not available for users in new zealand? I recall looking at the second lot you mentioned also not available for us to use in nz, I think? and even if I could, the turn around for delivery would be the same because I'm in Nz

The reason for contacting now is because I'm on a time limit & need to start on something now this weekend. So I wanted to know if someone knew for sure if this would likely to be a real issue with layout with aperture software with being unreliable with being able to proof properly?

Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Lets check a few things.

Start aperture, and then click aperture, about aperture.. And let me know specifically what version your running.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you,

version 3.4.5 2005 -2013 .

P.S my only option if there is a real issue would be to use a trusted local business I have used many times before, but because this year i purchased a macbook pro retina, I used Aperture this time, and this local software was difficult to use o mac.

Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

I think what you received was a fault in the Apple system.. not aperture.

Question, do you still have the book saved ? If so, try to print the book as a pdf .. Does it appear to print correctly?

If so.. If it prints and all the text lines up as it should.. Then there should not be any issues. ( it was probably a fault due to the order being edited in apples system, as even the apple support person you spoke to said there didnt appear to be any issues )

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you Dustin,

This is where I think the problem might be. I didn't print it but downloaded it as a PDF. This version was cut off. so why would the version you are given to proof be very different to this? Also to what support people can see?

Also is that fact, that what you can see while you are building it, is different to what you get to check the lay out & then if the actual final cut is different again? Does this mean unreliable product?

Because if I have to refer to a final pdf , I would be guessing with measurement and placement the whole time I'm laying out, hoping the final whole book is ok? Is this really an apple product?

Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.
I dont believe that the issue for now, is with the product itself ( though admittedly, I dont work for microsoft, and I dont work for apple, and I never defend a product thats faulty )

You did mention this was your first time building a book.. I think the issue is more with the settings that are being used.. Either when the book is being built, or when it was printed to pdf..

The thing is, the version of the book that is sent to apple to print, is a pdf version..

( concurred below )

http://www.apertureexpert.com/forum-user/post/1913502

So if your clicking on preview, and everything looks as it should.. Then when we click print.. It should still look the same.. And apple should see it the same.

You did mention you had downloaded it as PDF.. instead, can you open and preview it as pdf ?

Does that make a difference.. Is it still cut off?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you again,

I have learnt a lot of things in this process, I don't know why it simply does not give you the trimming parameters you need as you build as other products do. The settings you choose at the beginning before you start building determines the size.

Thank you however, you have given me some line of thought to question apple with on monday, because as i say now that I have a mac book pro, non apple software which is a fast delivery option for me is made difficult to use on a mac. Have to now brainstorm as to what to do next couple hours to get book achieved. Just a heads up as to why this is so important. It was a 60th birthday gift for for a family member. The book was fill of photos from his childhood and also with his father who was just killed tragically. Most of the photos were old that I had to get onto my laptop and then edit a lot also. Why I'm really upset about this & trying to do all I can to find answers, to what I need to do next. Because delivery to nz will be a time issue with aperture product now too.

Thank you Dustin, I'll end our conversation now.

Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.
I understand that Delivery is a concern, and that something thats going to be hard to get around....

You did mention a local company, had a local software that you had previously used?

Was that software, a Windows PC software? ( if so, there are simple and easy ways to run windows software on a Macbook pro)

Just a thought.. As far as ending the conversation, this conversation is an open door, anytime you want or need to come back and ask a question on this same subject, you can simply reply here.. And as soon as I am online and see it, I will do my best to respond clearly and in a timely manner Leanne.

I understand the importance of what you were wanting to accomplish.. And without seeing the finished PDF file, its hard for me to suggest a global change that needs to be done to the finished book.. If it was only a little bit of text running off the bottom or side of each page, its possible that running a shrink to fit or fit on page setting on the pdf file would solve the issue, and allow the book to be printable..

Also, the local company, they may or may not acccept pdf files for printing purposes.. Hard to say , as I dont know the company you speak of or their software...

I think at this point Ive added all I can to help, and going further my detract away from the issue at hand. Get the book printed, by the deadline.

Dustin S.
Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you,

I'll explain a little of the previous software I have used. ( Frogprints, fujifilm), so a NZ photo print company uses this software. They have a windows pc version & mac version. But when I have previously downloaded their mac version to use, you are only able to view photographs by a date only and does not allow you to access through your aperture library, you have to dig down through many files to even find them. Frogprints were only helpful enough to say it appears their product has been made difficult to use on mac and good luck. It also seperates every photo out individually. Then the book you work on is very fuzzy, so detail to line up, text etc is difficult. I also looked at Blurb and many others all the same with fuzziness.

So why in the end i used aperture.

Looking at the pdf, it appears to have cut of about 1cm on the top & bottom and about 2cm on the sides, which has affected every page as everthing was centered etc, if it was even cut offs on every side I could create a pdf of each page and shrink back to another book, but again I would be guessing where the true edges are. So perhaps best to talk to apple monday. see what they think has happened, advice they can give as you mentioned. The outcome of this will determine if I get the old pc windows back from my husbands office and start again, I can at least achieve this.

Thank you very much for your help & encouragement and good to know I can come back again.

Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.
Quick question.

when you do this.

1. Click the Buy Book button.
  2. Click the Preview Book button. Aperture will begin assembling the book. This may take several minutes depending on the size of your book.
  3. When the assembly is complete a PDF of your book will open.

Does the PDF preview look correct, or is it cut off at places too?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No the result of, "when your assembly is complete a PDF of your book will open." is showing all ok! This is what the support person also saw and checked was good.

It was only when i later down loaded it onto my desktop that you can see cut off edges. this would be the same if I printed it I presumed. I thought odd at the time, but thought if what they asked you to view as the check then all must be ok? Along with support person concurring.

By the way, I accidentally pushed not satisfied before, intend to credit you!

Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

I have a question.. When it gets to the point where it has assembled the book.. From the preview screen that is showing all is correct...

( its been a while since ive ordered a book )

Do you have any options, from that exact screen.. To print the book? Or to download or save the pdf file right there on the spot?

( as far as the ratings and credit, the system only counts the highest rating, so theres no harm in giving a low rating, ( unless thats the only rating im given )

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No , no options to print exactly from that screen, I just checked again as I was waiting. Trying to attach screen shots of 2x images, not working, will keep trying.

Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.
I still believe the best bet is to preview the book again, and then send it in via the buy command.. ( of course, the time to delivery may be a huge factor, and i cannot speculate on how fast apple would ship to NZ )