James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience:  Mac Expert
24111805

I do not know what catagory of Specialist I should send this

I do not know what catagory of Specialist I should send this question to. I gave an iPad to an elderly lady with monthly billing to AT&T. Months later she returned it to me but the $14.99 billing continued to be charged to her. Now I have given the iPad to a different person who has connected it with Sprint.

My question --- how do I get the AT&T billing stopped. (I am an 82 year old trying to help another 82 year sol, so I need step by step assistance if you can.)

THank you
Category: Mac
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I appreciate the oppurtunity to assist you today.
I will do my best to answer your question!

Once transferred to Sprint, the new user would have taken the SIM card out of the iPad, and inserted a Sprint SIM card.
This causes the iPad to stop using the ATT network, and move to Sprint.

It will stop the ATT billing automatically, there is nothing else you need to do.

I hope this makes sense!

If you have any other questions or need more information, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond!
I'd appreciate it if you can rate my service using the faces below my answer.

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

im still here. ill be back to you when i finish talking to sprint person who handled it differently. . . . he exchanged the ipad for a new one and connected sprint service. im trying to find out whappened to old one.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

As long as you don't use the iPad, or take out the SIM card, you won't be billed.
If Sprint or ATT took hold of the old iPad, billing will also stop automatically.

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

YOur info has been very valuable. I'm a little confused about one thing --- in early part of answer you said the billing would stop if SIM card was taken out above it seems as if you are saying it will somehow stop automatically " as song as SIM card is not taken out."

Anyway, I will of course give you excellent feedback and a tip but if you can answer that one point about the SIM card I'd appreciate it.

In the end, the Sprint people told me the ONLY way I could get billing stopped was to call ATT, they gave me the number of the iPad (I didn't know iPads had tel numbers) and I called. So problem is solved but I believe the Sprint employee who took in the old iPad didn't know procedures or at least couldn't explain to me.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
No - on the contrary. If the SIM is taken out, billing will stop.

Hope this is clear!

I'd appreciate it if you can rate me below, thanks!

J.
James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience: Mac Expert