jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ Comptia Certified computer repair
63323962

My early 2010 white Macbook, running osx 10.8.4, is not entering

Customer Question

The keyboard on my early 2010 white Macbook running osx 10.8.4, is not allowing me to enter.

Since you can't process my totally functioning Visa card, and when I try Pay Pal you tell me my account is registered to another person- well, I guess I will assume that you can't help.

Category: Mac
Expert:  jstinehelfer replied 1 year ago.

jstinehelfer :

Hello my name is John and I will be assisting you today. I understand technology can be frustrating at times and hopefully together we can come up with a solution to your problem.

jstinehelfer :

First I want to try resetting the Pram

jstinehelfer :
  1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

After resetting NVRAM or PRAM, you may need to reconfigure your settings for speaker volume, screen resolution, startup disk selection, and time zone information. If issues persist, your Mac's logic board battery (not a portable Mac's rechargeable battery) may need to be replaced. The logic board battery helps retain NVRAM/PRAM settings when your computer is shut down. You can take your Mac to a Mac Genius or Apple Authorized Service Provider to replace the battery on the logic board.

jstinehelfer :

If you can take your battery out of this model then do so. Also have it unplugged from the wall. Hold the power button down for up to a minute to drain all the power out. Then put battery back in. Also you can plug it in to the wall. Then try again.

jstinehelfer :

If all else fails then it is possible your having a hardware problem that can only be fixed by replacing the faulty device. Which in this case is the keyboard. As a work around you can plug in an USB standard keyboard to be able to get in to it temp until you figure out how to get this fixed.

jstinehelfer :

Let me know if any of these things work for you or not.

jstinehelfer :

I can try to come up with more ideas for you.

Customer :

Sorry, I get the OS X Utilities screen when I hold down the four keys. I never get a second start up sound. This screen's menu offers- Restore from Time machine backup, Reinstall OS X

Customer :

Cont'd:

Customer :

Get help online and Disk utility. There is no mention of PRAM or NVRAM.

Customer :

Charles

jstinehelfer :

This sounds like your Mac OSX disk is in the drive and it is booting to the Install DVD.

jstinehelfer :

If you cannot do the PRAM or NVRAM this is sounding like a hardware problem which may need to be fixed by replacing the keyboard.

jstinehelfer :

Have you tried to hook a standard USB keyboard and plug it in to try resetting the NVRAM and PRAM?