John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

got a mac from ebay (have a few other macs too). this one doesnt

got a mac from ebay (have a few other macs too). this one doesn't display anything on the screen. i can hear the chime and the voice setup assistant.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you possibly provide the serial number of the Mac please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

w87460y3zcv

Thanks,

I show this as being an iMac (24-inch 2007). Did the original eBay listing provide any information on the condition of unit when purchased?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was supposedly in perfect working condition "Has been dusted out, no dust inside. Performing very well!". It was even shipped in original box and styrofoam (i've contacted the seller too).

Okay, is the screen itself completely dead (you don't see the the backlight at all, as if it weren't even turned on) or is the screen "on" but merely blank?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Correct, yes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's dead that is. No backlight at all as if it wasn't on.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i tried a different power cord too ... no help

Okay,

this unit uses a discrete video card (ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO) that occupies a slot on the motherboard rather than literally being built in. It sounds from what you have told me that they may have opened this unit and "dusted" the interior. It's slightly possible something occurred during the cleaning and if you are comfortable opening the iMac then you could verify there are no loose connections but...

These video cards have been known to fail in the past and this iMac is nearly 6 years old (Manufactured November 2007). I'd rather cut straight to the chase and be upfront with you than have you perform futile diagnostics. If the screen stays black and shows absolutely no signs of life from the moment you you turn it on then this is a physical, hardware issue.

If you had not just purchased the unit I would recommend possible replacement of the iMac's video card but given that you just bought it, that doesn't seem financially sound obviously.

Please note: When troubleshooting hardware issues, sometimes the final diagnosis is that it is a physical defect in nature and the ‘answer’ such as in this case may not be a pleasant one. This may be a frustrating answer and I do sympathize but please don't shoot the messenger. Wink