John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

Can a macbook pro remain on while the lid is closed and be

Can a macbook pro remain 'on' while the lid is closed and be operated with external peripherals and send the display to an hdmi TV?
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Macbook Pro's do indeed support the use of an external display while the lid is closed.

Requirements in order to do this are:
  • Plugged into AC
  • External display must be connected and working prior to closing the lid
  • An external keyboard, mouse, or trackpad must be connected.

After your Mac's Desktop appears on the external display, close the computer's lid.

In OS X Lion and later, the external display will change to a blue screen, then will show your desktop.

In Mac OS X v10.6.8 and earlier, wake the computer up by clicking the mouse button or by pressing a key on your external keyboard.

NOTE: For best results it is recommend that you put your computer to sleep before disconnecting your external display.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,