Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of computer experience, CISCO certified

Hi John, Im Computer IT engineer ComTIA A+ and ITIL certified.

Customer Question

Hi John,
I'm Computer IT engineer ComTIA A+ and ITIL certified. I will like a second option if my thinking process is correct.
I trying to fix an A1181 Macbook my friend has given me and also upgrading the hard drive and memory. The issue I'm running into I notice the belly of laptop gets very hot and the desktop is still running as usuall but when I reboot or shutdown and hit the power button is draws a blank screen. It evenually gets restarted by the power button after it cools down to a certain temperate state. Am I look at a logic board issue? This happen with and without the battery in the laptop. Many Regards....Joe
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.

Hi Joe,
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today, as John is currently offline.

This isn't necessarily a logic board issue if the MacBook is running hot for some reason. If it gets too hot, it will not start up again until cooled - this is normal behaviour.

Depending on what is running on the MacBook, if high demand is put on the CPU/GPU then it will get hot. The fan should be running to help keep it cool, and the vents should be unblocked.

Install a utility like SMC Fan Control - it will show you the CPU Temp and fan RPM. This will help troubleshoot if the CPU is running too hot or if the fan is not coming on. You can also use the utility to adjust the fan speed if it is not running fast enough.

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hi Joe,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,