Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Hello I need to resolve the following issue I need to download

Customer Question

Hello
I need to resolve the following issue
I need to download datafiles in .csv format from a website to my MAC and import/upload them into another website. I did that but and received the message:

"the files are not properly formatted. You need to save them in windows / dos CSV format. They don't have proper linefeeds at the end of each line (mac/linux format).
Edit them on your computer, save in CSV windows format, reupload and
reimport them."

My questions are:
is this doable on a MAC without Windows installed?
if yes would you please help me do it via a screenshare
If no please recommend what (part of) Windows I need to get onto my MAC to do it AND help me to get it done.

This urgent

Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

It seems like that website only supports Windows (or DOS) CSV format. That means there is no way to use your Mac OS X to use those CSV formats. Remember, Macintosh's CSV is very different from Windows or DOS's CSV. Let me explain, If you have certain characters on the CSV, the encoding of those characters is entirely different on Mac OS X compared to Windows. In Windows, the CSV fields are encoded using Windows-1252 code page. DOS encoding usually uses code page 43 and the Mac uses UTF encoding, I think.

Anyway, back to your question. You have to install Windows on your Mac to solve this issue. You can install either Windows 7 or Windows 8 on your Mac. IMO Windows 7 is better than Windows 8.

There are two ways to install Windows on your Mac. You can install Microsoft Windows 7 with the help of VMWare applications like Parallels/VMWare Fusion OR with Apple Bootcamp.

BootCamp installs Windows on Mac directly by partitioning the Hard Disk. You can't use Mac OS X and Windows at the same time. To switch between Windows or Mac, you have to restart and select Windows OS or Mac OS X partition to boot into it to.

If you installed Windows on your Mac using the Parallels or VMware appplication, then you can load Windows by opening that application. With Parallels you can run Windows and Mac OS at the same time. The best advantage is, you don't need to restart your Mac to switch between the Windows and Mac. Both can be run at same time.

I think it'd be better to install Windows on your Mac using Parallels or VMWare Fusion. Either buy Parallels or VMWare Fusion.

Parallels Desktop 9 ($79.99) : http://www.parallels.com/
VMWare Fusion 6 ($79.99) : http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

Buy either Parallels or VMWare, then you have to buy Microsoft Windows. Windows 8 is the latest, but I think Windows 7 is better Windows 8 as it is more simple to use. (You have to buy Windows even if you want to use with Bootcamp)

If you want Windows 8, get it from here : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/buy

Buy Windows as discs instead of downloading online as that'd better because you can install Windows easily using discs.

Installing Windows with Parallels or VMWare is pretty easy. Open that application and follow the onscreen instructions.

If you have any questions or would need any further help, please don't hesitat to ask and I will be happy to follow up with you.

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.

There is a work around which might work without using Windows. Do you have Office 2011 (Excel 2011) installed on your Mac ?

If you have Excel, then there is a option to save a Mac CSV to Windows which might work on the website. Let me know if you have Excel and we can try that first.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I just received this advice fro another source - what is your opinion?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

sorry I forgot to include the advice

I would recommend not using Crossover and instead get TextMate http://macromates.com/ and open your .csv files in that and then do a File>Save As and you can set the returns to be Windows-style CRLF linefeeds. Your .csv should then open correctly in the Windows version of Excel.

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Hi Heinz, I personally didn't try the TextMate application. You should try it. If you have any trouble with it, I will walk you through the process.

In my opinion, Excel should work just fine as it is the one of the most advanced application out there. Do you have Office for Mac installed on your Mac ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes I have Excel for MAC 2008

And I would be MOST grateful to take you up on your offer in case I run into trouble with TextMate. I will install it tomorrow - it is getting late here in France ;) and will in any case let you know how I am doing.

Meanwhile thanks

Heinz

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Heinz, Add a bookmark of this page, so you can get back to me any time you want.

I didn't try Text Mater, so I can't judge on that App. But I will download and try it if you want help with that.

In my opinion, you should use Excel. Open Excel and import the CSV in it (File > Open and select CSV. If you can't find CSV, select All File in the drop down of file type).

After opening CSV, click on File > Save As. In Save As window, under Format drop down, select Windows Comma Separated (*.csv) option and hit Save. See sample picture below;
graphic
Then try to upload that CSV. Reply back to me if you need any help and I will get to you ASAP.

If Excel or Text Mate works, you don't need to install Windows to solve your issue.

Good Night Heinz,
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Hi Heinz, Just checking. How is it going ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Ashik

I have tried to import the data from the website to an Excel file on my computer with the file formatting you suggested but apparently it did not work.

therefore I'll now buy the TextMate and try again with that. I'll let you know the result asap

Regards

Heinz

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
What happens when you import ? Are you getting any errors ?

Before buying TextMate, I'd recommend to try the trial version. Get the trial version from here : http://macromates.com/download
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi again

I did download the trial version but have no idea how to use it.

May be my problem is that I first need to get the data (mailing lists) from a website to my computer (download and save) and then upload them into another website.

If you can guide me with either Excel or TextMate I would very much appreciate it.

Standing by ...

Heinz

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Hi Heinz, First, lets try with Excel. So, download the CSV file (mailing lists file) to your Mac from the website and let me know once you did that
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

done

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Ok, now open Excel on your Mac. Click on File menu and select open. Locate and select the CSV file've downloaded and click open. What happens ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I was able to open them after chosing All Files

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Great ! Does Excel opened that file successfully ? Can you see the contents in Excel ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes I can see the mailing list

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Ok, Now click on File menu and select Save As. Then in Save As window, under Format select Comma Separated Value (Windows) or Windows Comma Separated (*.CSV) and save it to desktop or any other folder. Then upload that file to your site. Did that worked ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Unfortunately the same problem: an error message: root element missing

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Does this happens with all CSVs ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Can you see a MS-DOC Comma Separated format in there ? If so, can you try that ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes that's in the Excel dropdown menu - I'll try that and get back to you

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Did all that but no success; what else can I try?

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
What is the exact error you are getting ? Did you tried different CSV ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Web Service Error:

Server was unable to process request ---> Root element is missing

... I have no other CSV files to try; the ones I am working with are what I need to get loaded and analysed by the website.

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
I will try Text Mate on my Mac and let you know.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

THANK YOU!!

I will grab some food and return to the screen promptly

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
What version of Text Mate did you downloaded ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

2.0-alpha.9475

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Thanks. Open Text Mate application, click on File menu and select Open. Then select the CSV file and it will load the contents it. If asked anything, select Recommended Grammer or settings. Then click on File menu, select Save As. In the Save As window, select CRLF (MS-DOS) under Line ending. Then save it and try to upload it to your website. Let me know if that didn't work
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

When I select Open in TextMate it gives me the choice to open a fine ON MY COMPUTER. But I need to first get the Data from a website. If I download the data from the website onto my desktop the formatting changes and the problem is there just like with Excel.

How can I get the lists directly from the website into TextMate??

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
You can't get directly to Text Mate from web. Download that CSV to your Mac, then open up in Text Mate and save it again. Try it....

I think just downloading it to your Mac won't change the format. We can try downloading the file in PC browser mode on Safari.

In Safari, click on Develop menu, select User Agent. Select Internet Explorer in there. Then load your website, download the CSV file and upload the CSV to the website.

If you can't find Develop menu in Safari, do the steps below;

• Click Safari menu and select Preferences
  • From the Preferences window, select Advanced Tab
  • Turn on "Show Develop Menu in Menubar" checkbox
  • A 'Develop' menu will appear in the Menubar

Let me know how it goes..
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

OK,

in fact I did download the data files again to the desktop and then into TextMate and that resulten in same problem. So I'll try your Safary in PC mode and get back to you...

Thx

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Good Luck.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I did everything, the Safari in IE mode, the TextMate save as etc. and i still have the same problem.

I have to take a break

If you have any other ideas ...?

Thanks

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
I have one more idea. Open the CSV in Excel, then copy everything from the excel spreadsheet and paste them to new spreadsheet. Then save the new spreadsheet as CSV. Can you try that ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.

There is also another application like Text Mate, the name of that app is File Maker. See here : http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-pro/

Get the trial version from here : http://info.filemaker.com/US-en-FMP-Trial-Form.html
We can try that too and see if it works or not. Let me know when you are ready. If it is late there, then we can continue tomorrow.
If nothing is working, then you may need to install Windows on your Mac.
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi

I tried copy/pasting in Excel with no positive results

Now downloading trial of File Maker but have to get some sleep - will continue tomorrow

Thx for all the help so far

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Hi Heinz, Sorry for the delayed reponse. File Maker is my last suggestion to get it running under Mac. We can try that when you are back.

Did you tried downloading the CSV file on a PC and then uploading it to the website (from PC) ? Does it works ?

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Good morning
Download of File Maker ok but license number dies not work. Have to wait for them to wake up in Pacific time zone to get support.
Will try to find a PC to test as you suggest
I'll get back to you later
Thanks
Heinz

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Try the PC and let me know if it works on it or not
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Okay I will look forward to your reply. Also, you are trying the trial version of filemaker. Right ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I finally tried on a PC and the problem persists -- that means it is not a MAC problem at all. Thanks for all the help and ideas. I will now give you the positive feedback for all your good work
Thanks again.
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Hi Heinz, Just as I suspected. It is not a Mac problem, because I think the CSV file you've downloaded is not properly configured or not in correct format. The issue is on their side. Every CSV will work in Excel and you can convert using Excel like we did before, but in this case the problem is with the CSV file you've downloaded. That is why it is not working..

If you've any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,