Freddy M.
Freddy M., Computer Technician
Experience:  Years of experience in the IT field

Being old and stupid, I cannot work out whether or no an Internet

Being old and stupid, I cannot work out whether or no an Internet signal from Sky would be as good as my existing signal directly from BT. Sky provides free Internet connection with my package - hence my interest.

I live at Heronshead Farm, Mynthurst, Nr Reigate, Surrey RH2 8QD.

Could you please check it out for me and advise?

Regards,

Tony Blok
Category: Mac
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 7 months ago.
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Which package do you have?
Which connection do you have from BT?
.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I don't know which Sky package I have, but it includes Sports and Films and costs £75.56 per month. BT is line rental, and broadband.

.
Thank you that is their entertainment package. For speed BT will be faster if you have the most expensive tier but if you want to get rid of it Sky's connection is still pretty good. If you have the cheapest tier of BT internet Sky will be faster. Here are the prices so you can compare which you have:

BT

Up to 38Mbps £15
Up to 76Mbps £20 and then £26 after 3 months
Up to 160Mbps £25 and then £31 after 3 months

The entertainment package from sky comes with Up to 38Mbps (but it is actually closer to 30). If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Thank you, Freddie. It seems my present speed from BT is 2.83 and from Sky it would be between 1.1 and 4.9. Quite a variation given for Sky! Could you interpret this into English?

.
Sky uses a cable like system for their internet so you essentially share the connection with everyone else in your neighborhood. During peak times 5-8pm for example you will see a noticeable slow down in speed. In the middle of the night 3am the network is not being shares by as many people so you see an increase in speed. So rather than committing to a speed they give you a range which is why they list with "Up to" instead of a set speed. BT has an overall better internet connection to be honest but Sky is not bad if you want to get rid of a bill just make sure you take into account that you will have a slow down during peak times. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Freddy M., Computer Technician
Experience: Years of experience in the IT field