John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

my battery was low on my mac book pro plugged it in and a beeping

my battery was low on my mac book pro plugged it in and a beeping sound started blank screen came up. i turned it off and now when i turn it back on it starts up aple icon comes on the wheel spins then a light blue screen comes up nothing else
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 10 months ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Do you know which version of OS X you have installed?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

i am trying to remember i cant access that i believe its 10.7

Thanks, Joan.

Let's try the following and see where it gets us...

Shutdown your Mac.

Restart and, as soon as you hear the startup chime, press the “OPTION” key and select the “Recovery" volume on the menu.

Wait for “OS X Utilities” menu to appear (DO NOT CHOOSE TO INSTALL)

Choose Disk Utility from the available options.

In Disk Utility, select your normal, bootable hard drive volume from the list in the sidebar (usually "Macintosh HD").

Then, Click "Repair Disk"

If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK.

Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions"

Then, restart your Mac and it should boot back into your normal Desktop.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

i got the two option clicked disk recovery...all that happened was the apple icon appeared then the wheel spinning and then the light blue screen again

Okay, that's not great... This alternative may be available depending on your model of MBP;

Restart and, as soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold COMMAND + R + OPTION at the same time. You should see the Apple logo or globe icon and then you can release the keys... It may take a while to completely boot into Internet Recovery.

Then, Click "Repair Disk"

Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions"

Then, restart your Mac.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Well after all that time doing internet recovery all that happened was the apple logo came up and light blue screen :(

Okay, that's unfortunate. It appears you may have a more unusual issue.

Please try the following;

Restart the Mac

As soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the following keys;

COMMAND, OPTION, P, R

Hold them until you hear the chime a second time and then release the keys and allow the Mac to boot normally.

If no improvement;

Shut down the Mac.

Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.

On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

Press the power button to turn on the Mac.

If it it still doesn't boot normally, see if there is any improvement getting into the Recovery volume once more;

If you still make it no further then please let me know.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Okay i have hard disk and recovery hd availabe none of the other stuff worked... I selected Recovery hd what do i do now there is no other menu?

Ok, if you selected Recovery... what do you see on the screen right now?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Apple Icon thats it

Alright, can you tell me when you purchased this Macbook Pro?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

March 23/11

Thanks.

This model should have shipped with OS X 10.6 originally, do you still have the original discs that came with the MBP?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It had a new hard drive installed a year ago with an updated OS I am looking to see if i still have the originals...Does this sound like the hard drive has gone again?

If you can find that disc and we can try booting off of it then I think it might provide an clearer answer to that question, actually.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I have disc 1 which is 10.5 and thats it...

Hmmm, could that be for an older Mac? If this was puchased new in 2011 then it should have 10.6 originally.

Here's something else to try;

Restart your Mac

Immediately press the "Command"(Apple) key + "S" Key at the same time

When the screen goes black and you start seeing text, let go.

After a short period of time you will land at a command prompt.

At the command-line prompt, type:
/sbin/fsck -fy

and Press Return.

fsck is a file system checker. It will run through a battery of tests, looking at different aspects of your file system.

When it's done, it will normally produce one of two messages

1) "The volume (name of your hard drive) appears to be OK

If it states the above, then your drive is fine and you can simply type "reboot" at the prompt to restart your Mac and boot back to the Desktop.

2) If fsck found any errors, it may have tried to correct them and will display this message: --FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED--

If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed at the beginning

/sbin/fsck -fy

and Press Return.

Keep repeating this until it reports your drive is OK.

If by some reason you need to do the above more than 5 times, this indicates a more serious issue. At the very least, the hard drive needs to be formatted and OS X should be re-installed.

However, assuming everything goes okay, type 'reboot' at the prompt and then press Return.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I did that and it stopped at :/root# XXXXX

No other thing has moved

Okay, if you are at /root# XXXXX then that is where you want to be. Delete the s's if they are there and continue on;

At the command-line prompt, type:
/sbin/fsck -fy

and Press Return.

/sbin/fsck -fy

and Press Return.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I did that twice it said appears to be okay I typed in reboot but its just the same light blue screen

Alright, it would seem your internal hard drive is fine...and you are able to boot from it enough to test the drive so the issue lies elsewhere.

I'm curious if you can boot into Safe Mode;

Restart your Mac

As soon as you hear the Startup chime, press and hold the SHIFT key

Continue to hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator.

Then, let go of the Shift key and let it boot to the Desktop if possible.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Okay that worked i have 3 choices Apple login or mine or guest ...I am assuming I use mine

Yes, sign in with yours and see if it completes.

Do you have anything connected to your Macbook Pro? External hard drive, printer, flash drive, etc?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I logged in it went to a dark screen now my name is XXXXX XXXXX theres a beeping

Does the beeping have a pattern?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It was three beeps now its stopped . What is on the screen now is my login an arrow pointing to the left of my name...below that is sleep restart shut down

See if you can sign back in, please.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

If I put in the wrong password XXXXX it have done that or would it even progress any further?

No, it would have "complained" to you and stayed on the sign in screen.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No nothing is connect but the power source I will try logging in again

Ok, good luck!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Okay no curser Now what?

Does that mean you are at the Desktop?

See if the keyboard is working; press Command-Shift-Option-Q to log back out.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No nothing its frozen the clocks not working on it and i am on my daughters laptop

Alright, it sounds as though it has locked up. Please shut it off.

Have you ever had any other upgrades or repairs done to this MBP since purchase, beyond the hard drive?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No the hard drive was all that has been done to it. It was working fine until I plugged it into the power source and the beeping started and it would work after that

Restart your Mac

As soon as you hear the Startup chime, press and hold the D key

Continue to hold the D key until you see a little computer logo.

When the process of booting is complete, select your language and click the right arrow. If you aren't using a mouse, you can use the up and down arrows to select a language and then press the Return key.

The AHT console appears. You can choose which sort of test or tests to perform:
To perform all of the basic tests, click the Test button or press the "T" key or the Return key.

Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Okay...Nothing happened when I did that I let go to type to you the apple Icon came up and it rebooted and its working!! What the heck is going on with this computer? Should I take it in and have it looked at?

Okay,

Given all we have tried and the fact that it boots occasionally, then your hard drive itself is most probably still fine.

However, since your Mac is randomly sounding the three beeps of death during startup then you most likely have a RAM (memory) issue of some kind. Common possibilities include dislodged RAM, bad RAM, or incompatible RAM.

Since you haven't had any upgrades done then we can discount incompatible RAM.

If you are comfortable opening your MacBook Pro then the first step is to remove the RAM, inspect it for any visible damage, and reinstall it to see if that fixes the issue. If that fails or you are unable to take that step, it’s best to make an appointment at the Apple Store Genius Bar or your local Mac specialist.

I can provide the instructions if you are comfortable checking this yourself but most end users are not. If you have an extended AppleCare warranty then you most certainly should not do this yourself, as well.

Please note: When troubleshooting hardware issues, sometimes the final diagnosis is that it is a physical defect in nature and the ‘answer’ such as in this case may be a recommendation to seek out repair from an authorized service center if the defect in question is not considered “user repairable”. This may be a frustrating answer and I do sympathize but please don't shoot the messenger. Wink

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I want to thankyou for all you help I will take it to the apple store and get them to check it out. Theres no way I would attempt to take out the Ram in it I dont even know what that is! lol Thanks again :)

LOL that's perfectly undestandable and you are very welcome, Joan! Please remember to rate my assistance as you see fit, if you so choose.

I enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. I can assist with a myriad number of issues.

I can be reached directly via the following page:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry