Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I need help with a formula in Microsoft Excel for Mac

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Welcome, my name is Dustin and I will assist you today!

May I ask which version of Excel your using, when the formula is dissapearing?

( excel 2008, excel 2011 )

Also, what version of mac do you have, 10.6.8 10.7.4 10.8.4 ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

10.7.5 is my mac

excel is excel for mac 2011 , 14.2.2

I have to go now. the formula disappears when i close then re-open or rename the file, or send it to someone else i just get

=#VALUE! and the long "if" statement is gone. it should be:

=IF(C6<85%,C5*3%,IF(C6<91%,C5*B9,IF(C6<95%,C5*B10,IF(C6<99%,C5*B11,IF(C6<100%,C5*B12,IF(C6<105%,C5*B13,IF(C6<111%,C5*B14,IF(C6<121%,C5*B15,IF(C6<10000%,C5*B16,)))))))))

that statement works great as long as i don't shut down but that's no bueno. when i come back the formula is gone and i'm sol.

gotta go home to the kiddos. if u can hack this you are my hero.

thanks,

Jamie

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Jamie.. Im sure we can resolve this, though it may take some back and forth between us to resolve it.

If your out of time today, thats fine, we can continue tommorow, or anytime during normal daytime hours.

That being said, I need to know what happens if you create a brand new excel document, copy that formula into the formula bar as normal.. Then save the document, and then close it and open the brand new document.

Does the brand new document save your formula?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried this and no, same problem. when i go to close then re-open it loses the formula.

I really need to figure this out as i have a meeting w/ finance at 11AM PST. I have put the full file up online to see at:

https://www.hightail.com/download/bWJwanZzNnl1Yk5ESjlVag

The formula for the green tab in C18 is:

The Formula for the Blue Tab in C20 is:

=IF(C6<85%,C5*B10,IF(C6<91%,C5*B11,IF(C6<95%,C5*B12,IF(C6<99%,C5*B13,IF(C6<100%,C5*B14,IF(C6<105%,C5*B15,IF(C6<111%,C5*B16,IF(C6<121%,C5*B17,IF(C6<10000%,C5*B18,)))))))))

the Formula for the red tab in C18 is:

=IF(C6<90%,C5*B9,IF(C6<96%,C5*B10,IF(C6<99%,C5*B11,IF(C6<100%,C5*B12,IF(C6<105%,C5*B13,IF(C6<111%,C5*B14,IF(C6<111%,C5*B15,IF(C6<12000%,C5*B16))))))))

I assume when you go to open them it will say =#VALUE! on those fields

Let me know if you can crack the code amigo :)

Catch ya on soon. have a super day!

Jamie

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jamie.. Just woke up a few minutes ago..

Havent signed into work for the day yet, but considering your deadline, wanted to get started early..

Quick question, are you using file / save .. Or file / save as ?

Please try using file / Save as.. and then rename the file as your saving it.. If you do so, will the newly named file allow you to keep the formulas?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I do a "save as" it will keep formulas for new file name but then if I shut down that worksheet and open it up, or if i email it to others, it happens still.

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
To be clear..

You do a save as, change the name. Then close it, and then open the newly named worksheet..

And the formulas are missing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We figured it out ourselves. had to save it as an xlsx format.

Sorry, you did not crack the code, Dustin.

where do we go from here? my company will not pay me to pay you, of course.

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.

We were getting close.. ( not sure why you werent saving in xlsx to begin with, but we would have gotten there eventually )

The important thing is the issue has been resolved Jamie..

As far as payment, Im not sure how you came to our website or what offer you took advantage of.. Your credit card or payment option could have been charged a security deposit..

If you do find that you have been charged a deposit ( which I have zero control over ) And you want to seek a refund, you can verbally request one here, to which I can relay your message to customer support who controls the accounts and payment side of things.

Or, you can contact them directly.

At the right edge of the page below, are two contact methods for our support team.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund

You can inquire about, and request a refund if needed by either phone or email.

Thank you for trying our service Jamie, and even if I didnt give you t he exact steps to resolve the issue, I certainly hope that delving into the save, and save as settings, helped lead you in the right direction.

Thank you for y our patience, and patronage..

Dustin S.