Jamie Lee
Jamie Lee, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ computer technician for over 10 years. Other certs include: MS Office,Windows,Networking.

Mac G4/350 running 10.5.8. Viewsonic vx922 In VGA it says

Customer Question

Mac G4/350 running 10.5.8. Viewsonic vx922 In VGA it says out of range on black screen then a light blue screen then black.. In DVI it starts to boot up - grey screen then says no signal on black screen. Had them hooked up separately now both. It works on a friend's PC and another monitor works on this one.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jamie Lee replied 11 months ago.
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to help. Your computer is trying to use a higher resolution than your monitor can handle...start the computer in safemode and try to change the resolution that way. Let me know how that goes. I will be online for most of the day and tomorrow too.
Thanks,
Jamie Smile
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I tried safe mode (holding down shift) after I asked the question and it would not boot up. Tried the buttons in via too, but they didn't work either.

I was wondering if you get to see the post screen and then when it trys to load os it then goes out?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

In DVI - Grey screen with Apple first, then gear then blue rectangle with green bars saying for best picture quality change to 1280 - 1240. I tried button 1, but nothing came up. went back to grey and gear then black and light blinking green. This was regular boot, not safe. Safe just has the grey and gear screen then black.

Expert:  Jamie Lee replied 10 months ago.
The easiest way to fix this I think would be to see if your friends monitor will work with your mac and change the rez to 12080x1240 and refresh to 60hz..then take your mac with its new settings and hook it to your new monitor and it should come right on. The only reason its not coming on is because your mac's settings are not supported by your monitor. Normally it will work in safemode but since it's not..best thing would be to use another monitor with it to see so you can change the computers settings.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Tried changing the rez to 1280x1024 60hz. Did not work in either or safe mode. Got an out of range in vga DVI jwent to bluee screen and then black and blinking light. Dropped it down to 1024x768 got out of range in vga. no safe mode boot up either for dvi or vga. dvi grey screen then black and blinking light

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Tried her advice and it did not work. Replied on 9/16 and did not hear back.