Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Dear XXXXX, I may have just stupidly bought a used Ricoh

Dear XXXXX,

I may have just stupidly bought a used Ricoh Aficio SP C410 Color Laser Printer. I'm a graphic honest and wanted some printer that I could just click print and it would print (hopefully with color accuracy). I was able to do this easily 15 years about on my old OS 9 system using RIP software to drive my Epson printers . . . Now it seems everything is RGB driven and not CMYK thus my decision to buy this older Ricoh but it was little used with lots of toner .. . I'm on a Mac 24" with system 10.6.8 . It keeps saying it can't find the DHCP could not be found (using an USB connection). I'm not sure how to tell this printer to recognize my Mac. I downloaded current drivers from both Apple and Ricoh . . I have manually entered my IP address . . . Do I need to run the printer first through ethernet and our router instead of just connecting directly to my Mac? Is this printer just too old to read the current drivers. I can occastionally get a print but usually I get postscript errors on a page saying syntex is wrong. "Smack" they are errors that remind me of my older epson 800 before I installed the RIP software. Any suggestions? What is driving me crazy is that occasionally it just prints beautifully as if there might be an override everything else button that just allows it to print. Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
You do not need to use an IP address at all if you are using it through a USB connection. That is only if you are connected via Ethernet or WiFi. Where are you seeing the DHCP error?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

On the screen of the printer itself . . . It has its own memory controls to set it up with one of the controls being "Network" and DHCP not found.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
OK if you are using USB connection you can ignore that. Go to the Apple Logo to Software Update and see if there is an update for the driver for the Ricoh.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I think I've already tried this but I will again in the morning. Do I need to reset anything in the printer ? It has its own input system on the printer itself (which none of my other printers have ever had) thus I worry about giving one message from my Imac yet a different preferences might already be programmed into this printer.

I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
What do you mean by "It has its own input system on the printer itself"? If you are connected via Usb just open System Preferences / Print & Fax then click on the plus sign when you see your printer listed select it and go to Add. You can let me know tomorrow
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I can add the Ricoh printer to my preferences no problem. The problem is it won't print a PDF without a syntex error such as "Stack" error.

I'll work with this more in the morning.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
In the print dialog when printing PDFs choose Advanced then check the box Print as Image
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I'll try that again tomorrow, it didn't work for me in the past.

I'll let you know.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I downloaded the newest print driver and installed it. I deleted the older driver and readded my printer to the system Fax and Printers profiles. It shows up fine. Then I try to print a PDF I get error messages: syntax error" Offending command: ) Error Message: ioerror offending command: flushfile

I am still getting syntex errors. I'm feeling the memory needs to flush out and I'll try again in the morning with the suggestion of printing PDFs as images.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Ok that should work let me know
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Error message: ioerror

Offending Command: image

Stack: -dictionary-

I'm still getting error messages instead of prints from Word files, PDFs, even if I "print as image" I've deleted and readded the print driver more than a dozen times and keep having to delete jobs sent to printing as the "printer is not online" . . . It still flashes "can not find DHCP network" I understand that the USB should overide this but it doesn't seem to be. I'm really confused. Thinking is there a way to connect with ethernet cable instead of usb and would that be more stable. I just want to say print and have my layout print. If it is a "print as image" or just print neither command are giving me prints. I did get two pdfs to print yesterday just to reinspire me to keep trying but then hours of syntex errors after that.

Frustrated trying to get an old school Ricoh color laser printer to talk to and print from a Imac 24" OS X 10.6.8

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
You would have to connect it to your network using an Ethernet cable but I doubt that will help. It sends the same data just through a different port. You can try resetting the printing system:

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences and click Print & Fax.
2. Open Print and Fax preferences 

4. Hold down the Control key as you click in the list at the left, and choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.
5. Add back the printers you use.
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I'd tried resetting the print drivers right before you sent me that message and at the moment everything is printing fine (without using "print as image") . . . I'd like to make sure everything still works tomorrow when I refire up my computer and printer. Everything you've said has made sense and things I'd tried but had gotten frustrating results . . . I'm hoping resetting the print drivers will do the trick. I'll let you know in the morning.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Ok