Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

A new MacBook Pro with Retina display has been used and working

A new MacBook Pro with Retina display has been used and working for a week. It has just locked up with programs open on the screen. Mouse pointer moves but clicking does nothing. After power down and hard reset the same view of open programs comes up and as before, like returning from hibernation, but nothing responds. Occured after using a mobile phone data dongle for Internet the second or third time.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

We can reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac and see if that works or not. First, turn off your Mac by holding down the Power button for 15 seconds. Then follow the steps below;

1. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys simultaneosly. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  2. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  3. Release the keys and the let the Mac boot up to desktop

If that didn't work, then reset the System Management Controller of your Mac. Follow the steps below;

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,