Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My MBP is "hanging" in two-three seconds. The mouse and keyboard

My MBP is "hanging" in two-three seconds. The mouse and keyboard do not respond on touch/typing.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

When did this problem started ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 2-3 weeks ago.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10.8.3
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if it works or not. First try Disk Utility.

• Turn off your Mac.
  • Turn in back on and immediately hold down Option at boot and select the “Recovery” disk at the boot menu (or press Command and R keys until it boot into Mac OS X Utilities)
  • This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS X Utilities” menu
  • Select Disk Utility.
  • In Disk Utility, Repair disk and Repair Permission

If that didn't work, then reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM

1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys and let the Mac boot up.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Espen, Just checking, how is it going ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ashik, I will following your instructions now. But I sent you a question about backup.

New question: I cant see my reply to you.
What is the accept buttom - when do I have to use it ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I didn't get your question Espen. It seems like it didn't post here. Could you please resend it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Test question, got it ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes, got it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nice,
I just wondering what different between reply and accept button.
Im using g-mail app at iPone, maybe that make some confusing for the system ?

Well I am starting with your procedure now.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Accept is the button to pay me for helping you. You only have to Accept the answer after you are 100% satisfied.

I didn't get your question about backup yet. Please send it again and I will help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok - then I know how to use the reply/accept button.

I did some backup in the mean time. Think that is ok.

The permission is finished.

I reboot and see the result.
The permission verify did many corrections - ca 25 I guess.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Now, reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac

Reset PRAM and NVRAM

1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command(Apple), Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.

Then reset the SMC of your Mac too. Follow the steps below to reset the SMC (System Management Controller)

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Let me know if you still have the problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done: press alt+cmd+p+r - the mac restarted 3 times and I logged in. The shutdown.

SMC:
When the computer was off:
left: shift+alt+cmd+power down at same time, the computer gone on and booting.

Now the computer is on - and the cursor is as before: hanging.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like it is a hardware problem. Now we can reinstall your Mac OS X. If this is a software problem, reinstalling the OS X will fix the problem as it will replace the old system files new one. This won't delete any of your files though.

• Turn off your Mac.
  • From there, click Reinstall Mac OS X and then follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall.

It will take a while to reinstall the OS X. Remember, reinstalling the OS X won't work if this is hardware related problem. So try it and let me know how it goes. Good Luck !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I reinstall the osx.

I have three questions:
1
My MBP was bought in may 2011 and equiped with older os, I guess 10.6. Now 10.8 will be installed, that will lead to a big download ? (I am asking because our internett connection is shared between a couple of houses...).

2
Is it possible to stop - and restart the download of 10.8 (without starting from beginning of download) under this reinstall ?
3
The mouse (or computer) is not hangig in this "repear" mode - could that indicate that it is not a hardware failure ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Espen, I'm very sorry for the delayed response. Lost my internet connection here and couldn't get back to you until now. My apologies...

Yes, 10.8 is a big download which is almost 4GB.

You can't stop. It have to downloaded without interrupting. So you should find a better connection and download it.

If the Mouse is not hanging in Utilities menu, then I believe it is software related. Anyway, reinstall the OS X and that will tell us whether it is hardware or software related.

If you have the Mac OS X installation discs, then you can reinstall 10.6 Snow Leopard from it and then upgrade to 10.8 ML later if needed.

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ashik
The reinstallation of ML 10.8 has gone fine. I have used my mac in about 15 min so far today and it seem to work nice - I think the mouse and keyboard is working ok.

The trouble with the mouse/keyborad (this problem) has been there for ca 2-3 weeks, at the beginning it happend not so often as the previous day(s).
Is it possible that I use my mac during this day, and if no trouble with the mouse, I then accept this soultion when the day is finished ?

Thank you for professional help so far.

Best Regards,
Espen
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Of course Espen. You only have to accept the answer if you are 100% certain that the problem has been resolved. If it happens again, you can come back to me any time you want even if you accept the answer. This question will never close until you wish to do so. Make sure you keep a bookmark of this page.

Meantime, do all software udpates from Apple > Software Update

If you have any quesitons or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mac is working nice, its faster, mouse/keyb hangig seems to be gone - have not discovered it today.

Thanks for nice help.

Best regards,
Espen
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I'm glad to hear that Espen :) Add a bookmark of this page, so if it happens again which I hope it won't, you can get back to me easily and without paying again.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Have a great day,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have made a bookmark.

Thank you, have a nice day.

Espen