Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have a 13 macbook pro that will not start up. after i press

Customer Question

I have a 13 macbook pro that will not start up. after i press the power button i hear the chime but the screen never lights up. its a late 2011 model and i have tried the pram reset. seems tobe getting warmer than usual aroud the bottom side near the screeen hindge. what should i do to check it out further?
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is David, and I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

When you tried the PRAM reset, did you hear a second startup chime?

How loud is the startup chime? Is it very soft, or very loud?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i heard second chime at normal volume, but then i heard a third chime

Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

I would like you to try the SMC reset, and see if the startup chime changes.

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Does the startup chime sound louder?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i couldn't tell a difference. so no it wasn't

Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jarod,

I'm afraid that if there is no change with PRAM or SMC in the screen, it need to be looked at by an Apple Authorised Service Provider.

Do you have an Apple Store near you? Would you like me to find the closest Authorised Service Provider? If so please let me know where you are and I can do so.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i already have had apple tell me that. i am wanting to know what to do to fix it myself

Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jarod,

The problem is that the next steps will involve opening the Mac and replacing hardware components. This should only be done with proper safety equipment and by trained technicians, and also with known good hardware.

A workaround could be to use an external display. Do you have an external display that you can use to test this?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do have a video adapter and can hook it up to a led tv

Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

Please connect it to your TV, and start it up. It might detect no internal display, and switch to external. Let me know how it goes.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I didn't ever get a visual signal out the hdmi cable either just the same results
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

Then this is a hardware issue. Do you have the AppleCare Protection Plan? Do you need any help locating the nearest Apple Authorised Service Provider?

Sincerely,
David.