Richard, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

I have not en able to satisfactorily install Silverlight on

Customer Question

I have not en able to satisfactorily install Silverlight on my new MacBook Pro laptop. I downloads but never allows me to view the video. I have been on the phone with technicians for about 3 hours.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question today. My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

I see that you have been working on this problem for quite a bit of time.

Do you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem? I will send a remote link within minutes after your response, so please keep refreshing the page.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Let's try.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

AFTER YOU CLICK THE LINK BELOW, you can continue.

Please, click the following link and allow the remote app to run: http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=ae2da7fd-d8bd-467b-9301-bdc28fc8bf18

Then on that page click the button that says, "Join Session".

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Are you having any problems with running that remote application after it is downloaded?

Which Internet browser are you currently using (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, or something of the like)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am using Firefox on this home computer. I was unsuccessful earlier today w/Safari at the office. I do not know what you mean by remote application. I am a a techno-ignoramus. We were able to download a few different things, but nothing worked...yet.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Please, use Safari only. After the download completes, open the Downloads window and double click the Elsinore file, please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

when I open Safari, I get a bunch of Mac ads & do not see Downlaods window or Elsinore

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Okay.

Open Safari, go to the link, and run it that way.

Or we could try the option below.

- Please, click the following link, download that file, and run the file: https://secure.join.me/Download.aspx?webdownload=true
- Then download and allow that remote app to run.
- Once it is finished, please, tell me the 9 digit number that appears on the top of your screen.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Go to what link? run what?I do not se anything but ads when I open Safari.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

1) Open Safari
2) Go to the following address in Safari: http://tinyurl.com/kju7gnl
3) Click the Join Session button and run the app
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not Safari is opening. I have an icon on which to click, but all I get are Mac ads with no URL

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Okay.

You must type the address in Safari..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I clicked on the join me link and then the join session but it never joins.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You did that in Safari?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I cannot open Safari, as far as I can tell.There is no URL bar

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Safari shows up at top left. What do i click on to open it?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

After you open Safari, in the top menu bar, click File > Open Url.

Then type in: tinyurl.com/kju7gnl

And press Enter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I cannot find "open URL" when I click on file

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

How do you go to a website when you open Safari?

That is how I need you go to to that same site.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have never clicked on Safari icon until today. always use Firefox.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

In Firefox, please, do this.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It tells me "Bad Request - Invalid Hostname"

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
What tells you that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

a large message window below the URL bar

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I have run out of ideas.

For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

I wish you luck,
- Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am running out of time. I just do not speak enough computer language to understand most of your questions or what to click on to open things. Chat box is very frustrating. I was on telephone all afternoon and was still not able to get it done.

Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.

I’m Lindie, and I’m moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from another one of the professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Lindie

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I still have the Silverlight dilemma. Chats are very frustrating for me since I rarely even understand the question asked me or the instructions due to my ignorance of computer language/terminology. I much prefer the phone where someone can walk me through, but even after 4 hours on the phone yesterday with techs at hudl.com and Microsoft, we could not install Silverlight to where I could use it. They gave up and recommended you. But I am discouraged to the point that only a tech with my desktop in hand will be able to accomplish it. Communicating with me is not working. I have a Silverlight icon on my desktop now but cannot watch the video. If you are willing to try, I will try again, too. But I cannot spend 6 hours again today.

Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,

Lindie

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Can you tell me where you are trying to view the Silverlight videos from please?

Which website?

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have been busy away from computer all day. The web site is hudl.com for a high school football video.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I received an email from you tonight but was not able to locate a response.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.

First can you make sure you have the latest version of Firefox please.

download it from here

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Once installed, please reset Firefox by doing the following

At the top of the Firefox window, click the Firefox button, go over to the Help sub-menu and select Troubleshooting Information.

Click the Reset Firefox… button in the upper-right corner of the Troubleshooting Information page.

To continue, click Reset Firefox in the confirmation window that opens.

Firefox will close and be reset. When it's done, a window will list the information that was imported. Click Finish and Firefox will open.

Then install Silverlight from here please

Click Me To view

Once done, restart the computer and tell me please if you can now view the videos.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Before receiving your most recent email, I mentioned my dilemma to a friend who took my laptop and had it functioning in 5 minutes. Sorry I had not been to my computer much since you took my case. But I was way behind in other things after spending over 6 hours on Sunday with your predecessors. Thanks for not giving up on me.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your most welcome.

I believe Firefox was an issue and they would have reset it (which is what I was having you do)

Main thing is it is resolved.

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My first expert, Jason, was not able to solve my problem after a couple of hours. I never gave my second expert, Rich, a chance as I was away from computer all day and was not available to respond. Before I was able to act on his suggestion, a local friend had taken my laptop and solved the problem. He thought Microsoft was the main culprit. Everyone did their best. Thanks

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problem, and thank you for the response.

if you need anything else, please let me know

Thanks