Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.
70409726

Hi I have laptop Mac OS X version 10.6.8 I think my boyfriend

Hi I have laptop Mac OS X version 10.6.8
I think my boyfriend is watching porn cause he erase all history but I want to see if I recovered the sites he was watching !! That's very sad !
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 12 months ago.

Michelle :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

Once the site history has been erase, you can no longer retrieve or view it unless there was a time machine backup performed before your boyfriend erased the site history or if a security software monitor was installed.

Customer: Really ??
Michelle :

Do you know if he has a time machine backup?

Customer: I looked in there but is off !! If I press on it said something about capsule but I click scan and nothing is happen would not able to scan port!!?
Michelle :

Unless you have his password XXXXX his time capsule, you will not be able to access it. Is the computer in question his personal computer? or is it a joint computer that you both share?

Customer: The computer is both !!
Michelle :

So do you have the password XXXXX the time capsule?

Michelle :

which is the external hard drive

Customer: But we got it used from a computer friend
Customer: Let me check
Michelle :

ok

Customer: Ok what should I do I open it and is a box
Michelle :

Are you using safari?

Customer: Yes !! It says unable to find any airport wireless device
Michelle :

Ok within the backup, you should see a backup folder

Michelle :

Wait is it an airport express or a time capsule?

Customer: In only see a box with says select back up disk I click and there another box says set up time capsules
Michelle :

Open finder. (click on the happy face icon in the dock)

Michelle :

In the left column under shared, you should see the time capsule listed

Michelle :

When you click on it, it will advise you to enter the password. Once connected if a time machine backup was performed, it will reveal folders

Customer: Finder ?? Where
Michelle :

Click on this icon in the dock

Full Size Image

Customer: Sorry can not find
Michelle :

Try this, Click anywhere on your desktop. At the top menu right next to the apple logo in the upper left corner, you will notice the menu option will say finder

Customer: I saw that but there is no happy face
Michelle :

Now choose File (next to finder ) and choose New window

Michelle :

A finder window will pop up

Customer: Ok in opened and there are folders
Michelle :

In the left column under Shared, do you see the time capsule listed?

Customer: No. I don't even see shared
Michelle :

Ok, lets first see if the time capsule is even set up. Click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in time machine

Customer: Ok I did and it shows off on and is off
Michelle :

Is it set to off or on?

Customer: I scan there is no airport utility devices was unable
Customer: Is off
Michelle :

Ok so that means a time machine backup was not performed. This means you will not be able to retreive any site history at this time. You can however enable time machine now so moving forward you can have a backup

Customer: Ok but I want to do that but is not letting me ! How come ?
Michelle :

Are you sure you have a time capsule? A time capsule is a router and a hard drive which allows you to backup wirelessly. If you do not have a time capsule, do you have a regular external hard drive. This is what a time capsule looks like

Full Size Image

Customer: I did not see the picture
Michelle :

Here is another picture

Full Size Image

Michelle :

If you still can not see the picture, click on this link instead
http://compare.ebay.com/like/400463919579?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Customer: What is airport
Michelle :

Airport is just a router, it allows you to connect to the internet. It does not store any data

Customer: I try to scan but not success !!
Michelle :

Thats because there is no option to scan. Your airport does not scan anything. It just connects to wireless networks

Customer: So that picture is a additional Devise I need to have ! ?
Michelle :

Here is what you need to do. You can either purchase an external hard drive that you can connect to your computer so Time machine can backup everything to it. Or (depending on how extreme you are willing to go) you can purchase an activity monitoring software which recored emails, internet activity etc.

Customer: Well that's ok !! I just very disappointed on him !! I notice that he clean the history he is not a computer expert just little basic but he knows how to Erase the history !! I know he might be watching porn or something !
Michelle :

Awww, Im so sorry. I can imagine how devastating that must feel

Customer: How much is the monitoring system and where can i get that ?
Michelle :

There are a ton of internet and computer monitoring sites. Here are a few.. They range from $50 and up. Some come with free trials so you can do that before you opt in to pay for the full software
http://www.spectorsoft.com
http://www.webwatcher.com
http://www.sniperspymac.com

Michelle :

I forgot to make the links clickable

Michelle :

There are a lot more out there. Some come with the bells and whistles that you may not need. So I recommend doing a google search on Internet monitoring software Mac and looking through the ones that best fit your needs

Customer: Thank you very much for your time and patience !!
Michelle :

You are sooo welcome. I wish you all the best :)

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.