Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I am unable to use my email function on my iPad. When I

Customer Question

I am unable to use my email function on my iPad.

When I touch the "Mail" button, I receive the following message: "The mail server 'imap.aol.com' is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account info in 'Mail Settings' ".

In AOL Settings, the account is listed as "XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. The password XXXXX XXXXX same as for my AOL account on my PC. The Outgoing Mail Server is listed as "smtp.aol.com"; this is also listed as the primary server. The Host Name is XXXXX XXXXX smtp.aol.com. SSL is indicated for use. The server port is 465. Help!!
Sue
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello Sue, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

I have seen this and had it happen to me. What I suggest you do is delete that AOL account from the iPad only, do not delete it anywhere else.

Now reenter the account and check the password XXXXX address carefully.
Sometimes Mail gets stupid like that.
Try doing that and let me know please. More may be required.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

O.K. I'll try that right now!

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
If that does not clear the fault please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Daniel, I deleted my aol account, and reentered the requested info. Immediately, this message popped up: "Cannot get mail". The user name or password XXXXX 'imap.aol.com is incorrect.'.

I don't know how to check that I am using the correct password. The AOL account was established years ago by Alma M. Guzman, and when we asked years ago about the password, I recieved one that I thought I was still using -- I have made no changes to my account.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok, now lets try accessing AOL with the browser on the PC. Open IE or Firefox or Safari (which ever you use) and type AOL in the address bar.
In the upper right corner is an envelope or you can click on the Sign in.
Do that and try the email address and password. If it does not work then it may need to be reset.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

o.k. I'll do that now!

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Keep me posted please.graphic
It will look like that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Daniel,

I did as you suggested. I was unable to satisfy AOL's request for my pet's name, and when they asked me to put in information about the person in whose name the account was established in order to get the security question answer, they kicked out my info and gave me another blank screen. I think this is going to take another attempt to chat with AOL, and I don't think we can solve this as quickly as I had hoped. Can we continue this discussion tomorrow? I don't think I should pay the required fee until we can have closure on this, do you? Sue

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely we can tomorrow. Do not pay until you are happy with the service I give.

What I see here is an issue that will be difficult to resolve given that the account is so muddled.
The thing with passwords is it is easy to make mistakes.
A 1 may be an I or an S a 5 or more likely a cap instead of lower case or lower instead of upper.
You may need to start over with a new email account, if so do not quit using the present account on the PC, you will need that to tell every one your new address.
Then set up a new account on AOL (or Gmail, they are a good choice) and also on the iPad.
Then you can phase out the old AOL account over a period of time and not miss any mail.
You can forward your AOL to the new account if you like.

What do you think?
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Daniel,

I will pursue this with AOL, and work on straightening this out; I really don't want to open a new account.. I promise not only will I let you know but I will then authorize the payment of the balance.

Enjoy the rest of your evening. SUe

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Look forward to it Sue. Take your time, I am in no hurry.

I hope it all works out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good moring, Daniel,

I have solved my aol problem, and your counsel was helpful. I did have to talk with aol. We had to make me an authorized user in the account (which I thought I was since I had my own email address and password). Then I changed my password XXXXX my phone and iPad and computer, and now I am back in business. Apparently, someone hacked into my account and used it to send out ads for vitamins!

So, thank you for your help. . . How do I finish paying?

Sue
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
You did so by clicking the rate button, thank you.
I am happy to have been of service. Should you have any future problems that you think I may be able to help with, please ask, I have a link in my siginature just for that.
Again, thank you.