John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

my iPhoto says is not opening up it states it is being used

my iPhoto says is not opening up it states it is being used by another application, i have tried the command option and it will not restart
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, Alma.

Quit iPhoto if it is still running.

Click the Apple logo in the top left of the menu bar and choose Force Quit...

Do you see iPhoto in the list?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no iphoto is not on list

Okay, good.

Let's try rebuilding once more;

Hold down the Command and Option keys on your keyboard and start iPhoto

Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library

A dialog will appear with rebuild options listed; Start with the first option.

Click Repair or Rebuild

The process may take a few minutes to complete.

If that doesn’t work then repeat the process once again, this time choosing the 2nd option (and repeat for 3rd and 4th option until successful).

If it refuses to rebuild or none of the prior options worked, you should next try rebuilding your iPhoto Library with the “iPhoto Library Manager“ available from here:

You shouldn’t need to buy it, just use the trial version.

Instructions on using this utility to rebuild your iPhoto Library can be found here:

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. If you need further assistance on this issue, please let me know.

Also, please feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. I can assist with a myriad number of issues, including speed or performance improvements, hardware or software installation and updates, new device/software recommendations and other frustrations you may experience in the future.

I can be reached directly via the following page: