John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

We have three iPods and three iphones in the house! My daughter

We have three iPods and three iphones in the house! My daughter opened an apple account and went and loaded games and music under the account. Not realizing it would cause a big mix up she plugged all three ipods under this account and downloaded music to them. Now when they get messages the messages come to all three ipods and they can see each others messages. I have made an account for my youngest daughter under another account but sometimes it still asks for the original apple Id and i want it to just be her new one! Its a mess actually!! Can you help me please
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 11 months ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Are you getting requests for the old Apple ID password XXXXX Messages or something else?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

When you want to download a app and they receive each others messages

Also the iCloud is under the original email

Okay, on each device do the following to check that the correct ID is present and that the wrong ID is not also listed:

tap Settings
tap iCloud

verify proper ID is listed under Account. If it is NOT, scroll down and tap on "Delete Account". Then sign in with the correct ID.

go back to Settings
tap Messages
tap Send & Receive

Verify it is the proper ID listed at the top. If not, tap the ID and choose Sign Out. Then sign in with the proper ID.

Also, look under "You can be reached by..." and make sure the incorrect ID is not still listed. Check the "Start new conversations from" section, as well.

go back to Settings
tap Facetime, if listed

Also, look under "You can be reached by..." and make sure the incorrect ID is not still listed. Check the "Caller ID" section, as well.

go back to Settings
tap "iTunes & App Store"

That should be it as far as Settings goes... Note, however, that any application that was downloaded under the wrong ID on each device MUST be deleted. It is tied to the ID it was downloaded with and will always expect that password XXXXX checking for updates.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

For some reason when i go on setting and then messages it tells me to sign in with my apple id or create a new account to activate. So in the space is the correct email address but when i go to put password XXXXX doesnt let me sign in, it just keeps bringing it back up. I had reset her ipod to try to fix all this a week ago

Test out that the ID is working properly by signing into the Apple ID management site:
https://appleid.apple.com/ (Click "Manage Your Apple ID")

Make sure the email address is verified.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes it is verified it says

Okay, Does this ID sign in without issue elsewhere in Settings ("iTunes & App Store", Facetime, iCloud...)?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes

Okay,

it may be a caching issue on the device itself.

Press and hold your Sleep/Wake button (on the top) and Home button (on the front) together for around 10 seconds.

graphic

When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

Then, see if you can sign into Settings > Messages.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No it still wont let me

For testing purposes, if you use another ID does it sign in?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

can I try my Id or should i try the old ID

You can try yours, if you wish. Just make sure to sign out afterwards.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok so yes it excepts mine

Alright, try the ID you want to use again.

If it doesn't work, make sure the email address is not list under under Settings > Messages > "You can be reached by..." on any OTHER iPod/iPhone.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok so it worked and verified and now says iMessages on send read receipts on and the send and receive says her right address

Okay, great!

How about the other devices, are they good to go?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have to open a new account for my son so I will just follow the same instructions. I do have a question though for you. she hooked my iphone and hers up to this other account and downloaded music. is this going to cause a problem? Also she hooked my sister in laws iphone to it to download music. Are we going to have isssues ?

If it was *only* music she downloaded then there shouldn't be any real concern. The music itself is "signed" as having come from that ID but it doesn't present any problems for the iPhone itself.

The only issue would be if that ID is in one of the sections of Settings that I previously gave you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

So now John what happens when I plug back into her account on my computer. will it save these new changes or change it all back to how it was?

Are you all using the same copy of iTunes under the same User Account or do you each have your own account on the computer?

Note: by User Account, I mean the Windows or Mac user account on the computer and not your iTunes Store account.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Taylor has her account that everyone was hooked too! I opened Kyleigh a new account and plugged her ipod in to back up her stuff (kyleighs ipod is the one we are working on) So now if I go under Kyleighs new account because it was still working had all Taylors accounts on it, will it screw it up again?

Okay, as long as her copy of iTunes running under her own user account is using the same ID as her device then there shouldn't be an issue.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Ok thank you so much John for your time!!! You have saved me!!!

You are very welcome!

I enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. I can assist with a myriad number of issues.

I can be reached directly via the following page:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry