Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I am having a video studio send me a DVD of material they recorded

I am having a video studio send me a DVD of material they recorded yesterday. I think I need them to send me a .mov quicktime movie of the two minutes of video. How do I explain to them what I need?
Tell them you need the files saved as Quicktime on a Data DVD at the highest possible resolution and quality.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Now they are suggesting that I download a .mov file from their ftp site. It should be about 3 minutes of HD video at broadcast quality. My download speed is 6.5 Mbps.

Will I get something I can edit in FCP? At my speed any idea how long it will take?

That should work too. It should not take longer than a half hour or so if that speed is accurate it should be less than 1 GB depending on the compression, and FCP should have no problem with it.